Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Charger NHRA "Chi Town Hustler"

NYNS Franky

Hello all, This started as a big task. A build with a deadline of 5 weeks, and to have a 1st place contender at the 2015 Shearwater Hobby Show in Shearwater, Nova Scotia, Canada. I placed second last year, and wanted to try for 1st. So coming off my last build with took a total of 5 months, I knew I had some bench time ahead of me. Special thanks to my wife for letting me disappear to the hobby room a number of times durning the build.

The build was to be peer judged so many times through out the build I sat back and thought about what my peers would like to see. Everything had to be close to perfect and many added details were neccasary to stand out.

Upgrades:

1) ignition, coil, and starter wires

2) Fuel and oil lines

3) Blower straps

4) Oil pressure guage with line

5) All chrome stripped and redone using Alclad

6) Thinned down blower belt

7) Wired parachutes

The results? Finished an hour before leaving and 1st place in the racing division!

Special thanks to Len and Bill on this forum for making my job alot easier with their review, build, pic's and links from 2010!

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35661

Cheers!

016_zpsmvqieoyx.jpg

008_zps3ykjq5nj.jpg

011_zpsqqryrbeh.jpg

Edited by NYNS Franky

Thank you all for the great comments! I'm still impressed myself that I completed it in 5 weeks. My wife on the other hand said she was very lonely! :-( So I treated her to lunch the day of the show. Revell did a great job on this kit and for the most part went together quite easily. The only issue I came across was the metal axle being just a tad to wide. When test fitting the body the tires came into contact and made for an extremely tight fit. Few seconds of sanding it down was all she needed!