Model Cars Magazine Forum

1935 LaSalle convertible coupe - 3d printed at home Aug. 30

my66s55

These 2 and most of the prints from here on will be printed on my high resolution dlp printer that I finished building this last Christmas. Many of the pieces have not been drawn yet. I did this Stromberg 2 barrel downdraft carb this week. The exhaust and intake manifolds had been drawn and printed out individually and smoothed last summer. It's much easier to join them in an stl. file and print them out like this. These are exactly as they came off the printer and have a thin coat of primer to make them more visible. It appears as though I have left over cured resin trash in the print vat that showed up on the manifolds print. I need to strain it. The carb is a little less than 1/2 inch high.

DSCN0119_zpsrejlypvi.jpg

Edited by my66s55

I'm working on finishing up the engine parts and had good progress over the weekend. These parts were printed on the high res dlp printer. I am extremely pleased with the engine head. It has bolt heads, goose neck and spark plugs. The second photo has the air cleaner, front of the engine bracket with timing chain cover and bolt heads and the water pump. I'm not happy with the water pump as it appears that I need to do a bit more work on the drawing. Again, these are exactly as they come off the printer with only a light dusting of primer. I want people to understand just how well parts can be printed at home.

DSCN0123_zpskwkj8cbz.jpgDSCN0131_zpsewocobcb.jpg

... Again, these are exactly as they come off the printer with only a light dusting of primer. I want people to understand just how well parts can be printed at home.

Yikes.

Do you take commissions (for either design or print)?

. Again, these are exactly as they come off the printer with only a light dusting of primer. I want people to understand just how well parts can be printed at home.

Fantastic work and a great example of the detail that can be created. Think of all the "plastic blobs" underhood and especially suspension pieces that can be replaced with something much more accurate.

Sorry Charles, I don't. I'm still learning plus it takes all of my time and effort for my projects. Here are the rear axel,printed some time last year on the fdm machine and surface finished and the pig, recently printed out on the high def dlp machine.

DSCN0143_zpsllisphdr.jpgDSCN0133_zpsn7gvketi.jpg

Agreed, not everyone has the skills to create the files necessary to print the parts. Couldn't you just purchase the software just like computer software? I can't write code, but I can (sort of) use a computer. I can see Mobieus, Revell or Round 2 offering modern " parts packs" on a thumbnail. Including modern engines like 3rd gen Hemis, the LS7 or the Coyote,Tremec transmissions etc. I suppose you could even design the drive so that it would be useless after one printing. The big issue as I see it, would be how to protect intellectual property rights. Could the next, next, generation of kits be printed at home? Or would bring your thumbnail to a 3D printing shop. Shapeway Hobbies anybody?

I wish I knew where you were coming from. You've lost me.

My hat is off to you. I understand the naysayer's viewpoint, yet totally understand the problems you have had creating something that looks acceptable from scratch. I have had the same problem with my 34+ year build (not kidding) of my Cord L-29 Phaeton Sedan. You have boldly taken some action to get a model of the car you want. I love it and really look forward to witnessing the future unfold before our eyes!

Eric, I applaud you and you efforts. This technology could make all of you model dreams, wants come true. I don't have time, and Though I really like the Duesies, much of your work could be completed easily and in a timely manor. You know, if I could spell, I would enjoy posting more.

This is really amazing. A big project you have undertaken here. Really curious how it will turn out at the end.

It will turn out just fine. hopefully, others will see that and understand that this is not rocket science. It is the future now and available to those who want to grasp it and utilize it.

Doug, it appears that at least Ford agrees with you about the future. Today they announced the Ford 3D Store where you can have your (currently limited) choice of models to have 3D printed for you, OR purchase the file for 4.99 to download and print yourself.

This is being done through the Turbosquid website where Ford advertises "hundreds" of other Ford-authorized files are available (but cost quite a bit more than 4.99).

Hopefully the model companies are paying attention. Sometimes people want something besides another flathead deuce or '60s muscle car. (not that there's anything wrong with those).

Edited by djflyer

DSCN0146_zpsyxivz32t.jpgDSCN0145_zpsnx0sqvlg.jpgDSCN0147_zpsjqb0spdt.jpgI saw the post David and gave my response. Here is my post in reference to my response. 1:18 scale vs 25 or smaller. Observe, believe, understand.

Excellent parts Doug - very much as I expected. These definitely prove what can be done with this technology, and as I understand it you are not a professionally trained CAD person either. Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks to all for the encouraging words. You are correct, David. I taught myself to use Blender. There are tutorials on You Tube and other forums to show anyone how to set up the background jpegs and even how to make a mesh for a car. Tons of instructions on the Blender website. Blender is open source and is developed by those who use it. If you go to Shape ways website and check the section on preparing a file for 3d printing, you'll see Blender mentioned. It is very 3d printer file friendly.

Producing the file is only the first step. Here is an example of learning how to get a good print vs just a print from the high def dlp printer. These are photos of the bell housing and trans. The part on the top side of each photo was printed a few weeks ago and was the original parts from the fdm machine that I joined together in the stl. file and printed out on the dlp machine. The part on the bottom of each photo was printed on the dlp high def machine a few days ago. What made the difference? I added some parts that could be added because they will show up on the dlp print, and I made two changes in the printer setting. I changed the expose time for each slice from 3 seconds to 2 1/2 seconds and extended the length of time between the period the build plate surfaces and the projector flashes from 10.8 seconds to 30 seconds. You can see the difference.

DSCN0151_zpsdcd1yazq.jpgDSCN0150_zps1x2w8kmu.jpg

Very impressive. My mind is working furiously right now, trying to figure out how I can do something like this.

I can already 3D model.

I just can't see a way to make it anything other than a hobby...resin casting takes a whole other skill set and large investment in materials, and then anyone with some rubber and resin can make knock-off parts.

Maybe the solution is to charge people for 3D printed parts, or offer custom modeling and printing services. But that will slow down as more people build their own printers.

So much potential, though!

Chris. Did you ever think of a trade off system? Imagine people with one part of the equation trading off their skill with some one with the other part. I'm going to divulge something at this point, but i'm not going to name names. When I first posted my prints from this printer at the first of the year, one of our fellow members contacted me about printing one of his files, just to see how well it would print. Well, I guess you know how that turned out by seeing my prints for yourself. The printer is even better today. Yes, there is going to be a market for for 3d file services and printed parts.

Here are one side of the front suspension pieces. It took about 3 days to do these as I had to make a few minor changes in the drawings for it to be the way I wanted. Also, this resin is very brittle and with small pieces as these they break easily. This caused me to make many replacement parts. That's one of the advantages of 3d printing. Break a part, print a new one. There is a new resin due out any day that claims to be similar in make up to injected plastic. I'll be using that as soon as it is available. These are as they came off the printer. No primer.

DSCN0154_zps70xxuhsr.jpgDSCN0156_zps8xr4r8jk.jpgDSCN0153_zpszzcsh6sc.jpg

Hear are the original prints off the fdm filament printer. The main reason this project is in 1:18 is because these parts couldn't be printed in 1:24 is that there would be no detail, just blobs of melted plastic. Of coarse, as I have shown, it is now possible to do in 1:24 and smaller. These are after some surface prep.

20150505_105218_zpsaplmpomu.jpg20150505_105135_zpskn5yji7y.jpg

Edited by my66s55

The old filament-style prints are what I tended to have in mind when visualizing the output of home 3D printers. But the parts you're getting out of the new machine are light years better. Love it.

That new, more resilient resin should be a welcome change as well.

• 2 weeks later...

So ,o.k. It's been awhile since my last post and I promise anyone watching this that I will try not to post any non progress posts. I am waiting for resin. I can't do any more printing on the dlp machine. I've started assembling the engine and trans. Here are the results.

DSCN0172_zpscatrrskx.jpg

DSCN0171_zpsel5f9iro.jpg

DSCN0170_zpslpnvdmq5.jpg

I'm still waiting for resin. It should be here this week. Mean while, I'm working with what I have. This is the mock up of the frame, front fenders, front of body cowling, running boards and rear body shell. None of it is glued together. The running boards were printed over sized and trimmed to fit. The doors are also printed slightly longer to allow for shrinkage. Now that I have this mock up, I can get a correct length for those parts.

DSCN0176_zps8tsran63.jpgDSCN0177_zpsdhnhfwjt.jpgDSCN0178_zpszaqmhyll.jpg