Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dodge Mirada and 1981 Imperial race cars

Plasticfanatic

Here is my soon to be 1981 Richard Petty Dodge Mirada test car used in Daytona track tests and which eventualy led the King to abandon the Dodge racing brand, never the less is still a car built by Petty Enterprises and tested by the king so it forms part of his long line of Dodge/Mopar race cars....and for some reason I like this car very much!!!

Also this may be the most elusive Petty car there is, there only a front view black and white picture of the Daytona test car with the STP stikers, no other photo of the car in side profile or any other angle for that matter is know to exist or have been made public, making the debate of this particular Petty car quite interesting, some based on the B/W photo say (as I also belive) ghat the car was painted Petty Blue with the STP logos only, other enthusiasts maintain that the car was primer gray or even at one point black primer....like the know photos of the Petty test Magnum car, this comes from comments and inteviews with Maurice Petty who maintained that the car was primer gray at Daytona... but the B/W photo show reflections on the bodywork so now the view is that it was painted by the time it reach the test track....at least in ovarall Petty blue.

003-vi.jpg

001-vi.jpg

010-vi.jpg

002-vi.jpg

And here is the 1981 Imperial, this one is on its way to a resin caster so there is the probability that if my bodywork is of good quality and resin casting standard, it could be available in resin to fellow Nascar enthusiasts in a very near future.

This one is going to be made into the B. Arrington Imperial race car.....when I get it back!!!

016-vi.jpg

024-vi.jpg

022-vi.jpg

025-vi.jpg

015-vi.jpg

017-vi.jpg

021-vi.jpg

If my memory serves me correct the Petty's tested a Magnum which led to them going with GM...Later when NASCAR downsized the cars the Dodge Mirada/Cordoba/Imperial were tried by some teams..Petty and Jr.Johnson tested the Mirada..Jr's car had Darrel Waltrip testing it..Neither one were good..Apparently the window on the "C"piller didn't work well screwing up the aerodynamics..Both stayed with GM at that time...I might be wrong but remember reading it in Stock Car Pictorial years ago...

• 2 weeks later...

NIce work on both cars. Keep us posted if you have them resin casted.

Vernon

Hi Vernon,

The Imperial stock car shown here is now available from SMH Resin, the Nascar Dodge Mirada is next on line, I just have to finish some small details and it will be on its way to Ronnie at SMH.

Hi Vernon,

The Imperial stock car shown here is now available from SMH Resin, the Nascar Dodge Mirada is next on line, I just have to finish some small details and it will be on its way to Ronnie at SMH.

Hello Fred...Just ordered one from SMH yesterday, can hardly wait for the Mirada.

Thanks, Vernon

Here is the resin casting from SMH, I have not cleaned/prep in any way yet, is out of the box...and fit perfectly in the chassis, I am very happy with it and the quality of the casting. Now is going to be clean,primer and painted in the Arrington colors, I will be doing the "back wheel wells bulge" version of this car with another resin body, quite a simple detail to add.

002-vi.jpg

004-vi.jpg

005-vi.jpg

008-vi.jpg

007-vi.jpg

003-vi.jpg

Fred...I liked this one so much, I ordered a second from SMH. I'll be ordering a couple of the Mirada and the rear fender bulge as you as they are released. Also, THANKS to Chuck Naylor for doing the Arrington decals. Ordered three sets from SMH also.

It's great to see different offerings other than the top dogs.

Vernon Hayden

did someone say they would like to see this car . I started playing around last night and I should have this one done and the Gordon car done by the weekend

thanks Chuck

Hey Chuck.... you do some fantastic decals with interesting subjects. How about considering some old J.D. McDuffie cars from the seventies and eighties. JD was one of the hardest working independent owner/drivers and never really represented too well in this hobby.

Something to think about.

Thanks for all the great products you offer.

Vernon Hayden

Fred...I liked this one so much, I ordered a second from SMH. I'll be ordering a couple of the Mirada and the rear fender bulge as you as they are released. Also, THANKS to Chuck Naylor for doing the Arrington decals. Ordered three sets from SMH also.

It's great to see different offerings other than the top dogs.

Vernon Hayden

Vernon,

Yes indeed is great to be able to have the more rare cars in the collection to....even more when the decals become available . I will be posting the "bulge" modification soon, is not a difficult addition and will make yet another variation of the same car, I am almost done with the Mirada master body and next week will be on the way to SMH. Once more thanks for your kind words about this project,greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am getting ready to order both of these cars. Which brand kit is used for the chassis, Monogram or AMT?

These are 1/24, any Monogram late 1980's  Nascar Chevy Monte Carlo SS  chassis/rollcage will fit the Dodge Mirada and Imperial from the box (no cutting of the chassis/rollcage needed) , infact the Imperial body will also accept the mid 1980's Monogram Nascar Grand Prix chassis without problem.  Have included a photo of the resin body of the Mirada in the Monogram Chevy Monte Carlo SS so you can see actual fitting. Hope it help.

image.jpg

Very fun and interesting topic here.  The mock ups look very convincing and bring back faint memories of what I feared would be the last Chrysler Corp. NASCAR racers.  The roll cage fit appears perfect too.  Thanks for sharing...

Mike K.

Edited by swede70

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...