Model Cars Magazine Forum

Busch Grand National Series

bbowser

I was digging through some boxed up stuff the other day and found some of my early builds from when I got back into the hobby. These are probably from the mid-late 90's. Some are pretty dirty and the decals have yellowed with age, but I like 'em anyway. Comments welcome.

Michael Waltrip's car (that he destroyed at Bristol)

DSCN0559_zpsmt1azlvp.jpg

Bobby Labonte

DSCN0558_zpsdizpzez5.jpg

Kenny Wallace

DSCN0556_zpspegvsuor.jpg

Chuck Bown

DSCN0555_zpsnqcbxqzu.jpg

Ricky Craven (the original Rainbow Warrior)

DSCN0553_zpsicna5sim.jpg

Jeff Gordon (driving for Jack Roush)

DSCN0552_zps0cyajxiz.jpg

Robert Pressley

DSCN0551_zps7lmncbst.jpg

Tommy Houston

DSCN0549_zps47rmny9b.jpg

Harry Gant

DSCN0516_zpsuhfcvw9q.jpg

All excellent looking builds! And, now a quick question for you. Back in the late-1980's-mid-1990's when the Busch Series race cars were limited to using V-6 engines, I've always wondered approximately how many cubic inches those V-6 engines were... any idea?

• 2 weeks later...

Those are killer, Bruce.

I went to many BGN races in those years and was standing in the 2nd turn at Bristol when Mikey crashed. Unbelievable !!

Also, not to correct, but the V-6 were limited to 274 Cu In. They "could" run a V-8, but they were limited to 311 Cu In.

The V-8 cars also had to weigh 3300 lbs, 100 more than the V-6s.

Good memories, from when it was fun...............

Those are killer, Bruce.

I went to many BGN races in those years and was standing in the 2nd turn at Bristol when Mikey crashed. Unbelievable !!

Also, not to correct, but the V-6 were limited to 274 Cu In. They "could" run a V-8, but they were limited to 311 Cu In.

The V-8 cars also had to weigh 3300 lbs, 100 more than the V-6s.

Good memories, from when it was fun...............

Ah yes, thanks for the info Hondo. They were trying to steer the teams towards the V6 with the weight rules but eventually gave up and went back to "detuned" V8s.

All great models..The Ford(Babe Ruth) was not owned by Jack Roush..It was owned by Bill Davis racing..He went on to own the Dodge that (the funny talking Burton) won the Daytona 500 with..Chevy scooped up Jeff Gordon from Bill Davis..The rest is history...