Model Cars Magazine Forum

PAINT QUESTION

HI GUYS,

CAN YOU USE RC PAINT ON MODELS?

THANKS, TOM

Yes you can. You can use pretty much anything, as long as you prep your plastic parts the right way. What I mean is, with the right primer. I use automotive polyurethane primer and once it has cured I have had zero issues shooting nail polish, automotive lacquers, Pactra RC paint, Tamiya RC paint and every hobby paint you can think of. Polyurethane two part clear also has no problem covering any of these paints.

And as far as my experience goes, Pactra RC spray cans cause no issues sprayed over Tamiya primer either and handle the Tamiya clear. Resin, on the other hand can pretty much handle anything short of toxic waste.

For those who care, the reverse is also true. You can use model paints on RC/Lexan as well.

This one was painted using Duplicolor, Tamiya, and Testors lacquers from memory:

000_0845_zps20b7f01e.jpg

And this one was painted using all Duplicolor:

finished2.jpg

finished3.jpg

A WHOLE LOT OF INFO GUYS, THANKS VERY MUCH

I HAVEN'T THE BEST LUCK WITH DUPLICOLOR IN THE PAST, IT NEVER SEEMS TO CURE FOR ME. I'LL GIVE IT ANOTHER TRY

THANKS AGAIN, TOM

I've used Spaz Stix on plastic - without a primer, and without any problems!

Not really, no. They're for lexan bodies not really meant for resin or plastic ( kits ) .

Model car builders have been using paints made for RC car clear lexan bodies on plastic models for as long as those paints have been around, and quite successfully too.

Of course, being made for spraying on the inside of clear plastic (Lexan) body shells, these paints are flat finish, which will require a clear coat afterward, but yes, the stuff does work on styrene plastic--there have been some stunning custom car paintjobs done with it.

Art

Model car builders have been using paints made for RC car clear lexan bodies on plastic models for as long as those paints have been around, and quite successfully too.

Of course, being made for spraying on the inside of clear plastic (Lexan) body shells, these paints are flat finish, which will require a clear coat afterward, but yes, the stuff does work on styrene plastic--there have been some stunning custom car paintjobs done with it.

Art

Thanks Art... I've never tried the stuff but I may just in the future! ??

MIKE, IS THAT T237 A FILLING PRIMER?

IT JUST SAYS "SANDABLE" PRIMER ON THE CAN, IT DOES FILL A BIT, BUT ISN'T WHAT I WOULD CALL A "HIGH-BUILD" PRIMER. IT'S ALSO WHITE IN COLOR, THE GREY IS T-235.