Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here we go again....

Monday our town and my neighborhood was hit by another tornado so I might be a bit hard to get a hold of but will get back to every messages sent to me.  We had one in 2011 but this is much worse in areas mine included.  Were ok but its going to take a lot to get back to anything close to normal here now that my power is back on...I know there were other towns that got hit recently too...hope you all are safe and well.  Mark

Glad that you're okay and hopefully didn't have a lot of damage . A very good friend of mine lives in Quincy and emailed me some photos of the aftermath and it looked pretty bad .  He's okay too and only had some trees down .

Hang in there and stay safe .

BOB .

Glad that you're okay and hopefully didn't have a lot of damage . A very good friend of mine lives in Quincy and emailed me some photos of the aftermath and it looked pretty bad .  He's okay too and only had some trees down .

BOB .

Bob...I am glad your friends ok....some areas got hit worse than others here mine being one of them from what I heard.  Top 1/2 of a pine tree on my truck,seems to be no structural damage to my house yet but have some trees,windows,fence,etc. here.  Send me your e-mail address Ill send you some more photos.

Hang in there Mark.

An F1 tornado went through my neighborhood several years ago missing our house by a matter of feet!

houses across the street had minor damage & many, less than a half a block away, had roofs torn off, garages destroyed, etc.

A very scarey experience.

My wife's brother had his house completely destroyed by an F4 in western Minnesota years ago.

Steve

Hope all is well with you and your property!    About two years ago we had the hail storm of the century.  Hail the size of baseballs took out car windows on new car lots, caused a lot of local damage.  I was working from home that day. When it hit I was in my kitchen under the sky light. Not only did I move to the center of the house, but I managed to cover the skylight with cardboard from an upstairs window.   The aftermath was that every roof in my neighborhood was damaged and my aluminum siding was dented all around.   My insurance company paid for an entire new roof and replaced all my siding with vinyl.  I was fortune that my cars were parked under trees and didn't get damaged.  Other cars I saw looked like a kid took a hammer to them!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Thanks guys....the support helps brothers.  I always take the warnings and watches very seriously but here this time the sirens did not sound till it was already here it just developed too quickly.... oddly enough they cant be heard most of the time from inside of the house anyway.  We did get my truck out from under the upper 1/2 of the tree top that fell on it.  There saying we could get more bad storms here today and Monday maybe...just do not need that right now.

Thanks guys....the support helps brothers.  I always take the warnings and watches very seriously but here this time the sirens did not sound till it was already here it just developed too quickly.... oddly enough they cant be heard most of the time from inside of the house anyway.  We did get my truck out from under the upper 1/2 of the tree top that fell on it.  There saying we could get more bad storms here today and Monday maybe...just do not need that right now.

I think we got your used storms here in Pennsylvania, as the storms go east.  We've had a few big warnings the past few weeks.  Both of which triggered alerts on our cell phones, and were all over the TV, pre-empting programming.  We went and sat in the basement for one, and watched the storm progress on TV.  That was the one where we got a phone notification (phone screams bloody murder- alert is then across screen) and we turned on the TV, the announcer was pointing to our town on the map!  Irony was that these storms get pretty localized.  In the evening they showed the aftermath of damage and people were without power for a week in our town.  But we never  got high winds, and none of the flower pots across my deck even fell over!

I hear you Tom....the only thing is with the warnings its a C.Y.A. thing with the local weather and National Weather Service organizations to try and help protect us all but in the same note they end up having to cry wolf at times on a coming storm.   Here there is a power pole with grass blades stuck in it,cars crushed or moved,etc. but some things were untouched that were small and light weight...ours was warned to be a severe straight line wind storm but developed a few tornado touchdowns and more localized severe damage path areas throughout town.  You were lucky not to have been hit badly Tom...wouldn't wish this on anyone to have to go through let alone the second time in 4 years like our neighborhood has had.  The financial cost of repairs,clean up,and replacing things ether...some people in my area will have to do it over months of time like I will.  

In 2006, just a year before I left St Louis, we had one of those "straight line" storms. It blew semi's over on the I 270 Chain of Rocks bridge.  :o

My pickup was parked at the curb in front of our home. My then wife "got that feeling" and pulled the truck into the driveway just before the storm hit. The tree across the street came down and landed at the curb right where my beloved F150 had been parked. Our roof wasn't so lucky, we had to live in a hotel for a week.

I don't miss that.

G

In 2006, just a year before I left St Louis, we had one of those "straight line" storms. It blew semi's over on the I 270 Chain of Rocks bridge.  :o

My pickup was parked at the curb in front of our home. My then wife "got that feeling" and pulled the truck into the driveway just before the storm hit. The tree across the street came down and landed at the curb right where my beloved F150 had been parked. Our roof wasn't so lucky, we had to live in a hotel for a week.

I don't miss that.

G

I hear you there G.... I know St.Louis well and they have very rough weather at times too...man you were lucky.  Got an estimate on the trucks damage...$3,850.oo if it were to be repaired....OUCH.  This storm was a straight line wind storm that developed a few tornado touchdowns here...apparently my neighborhood was one place it did and neighbors said they seen it....the damage reflects it.  last time we had to stay in the house with no power for about 4 1/2 days...talk about roughing it when its hot out.  We still had to toss out all the food...it all got bad after a few days without power as expected.  My roof looks so so...has some shingle loss but no signs of any leaks just yet.  Going to have to get some people over hear to look at things and maybe fix some of them.   I really appreciate you guys support...its times like these that it means the most.   Mark

I don't miss that.

G

A couple of years back, I left my car out from under the carport (a rare occasion), owing to some construction material that I stored there that day. Wouldn't you know it, we had the worst hail storm that I can ever remember seeing, and my car was dented from one end to the other. Windshield is still cracked in fact, as I haven't had the funds available to have it replaced.

BOB .

I worked up there (in Quincy) several years ago for a few months, large factory, but I forget the name. Nice little town.