Model Cars Magazine Forum

NOMAD WHEELSTANDER - Belated Christmas - 1/13/16

Michael, I hear ya' on the Chevy loyalty thing. However, as you know I'm sure, HEMI's have been under the hood and fiberglass bodies of competitor's badges for 5 decades. If ya' can't beat 'em, well, you know.....;):D

Thank you too Dennis. Hope you enjoy the pics and the silly person commentary.

Welcome aboard Ray. Keep me on my toes with your insightful observations.

I stopped at Lowe's today and finally picked up some roof flashing metal. It comes in a roll of more than I'll ever need for $17.98. This is where I have to change my mindset on plastic vs. metal. My first instinct is to run to a spare parts box or bin and look for usable stuff like, oh, say, leaf springs. Now I'm going to be making my own. And just so you know, the floorboard is only a template. It'll be sheet metal as well

The frame widening project is going well and everything is starting to make sense now. I totally lucked out on the front frame lining up with the front fender well. As you can see, I removed the majority of the fender well and was hoping what remained could be used as a hinge point. SCORE!!!!!!

Enjoy the pics and Thanx for stopping by.

20150814_154333.jpg

20150814_154305.jpg

20150814_154348.jpg

20150814_154419.jpg

20150814_154517.jpg

Thanx a lot Tim. I'll be getting to the roof soon.

Hey Art. How's the best Pro-Tech dealer on the west coast today?

Well, I may be slow, but I'm .........building my little heart out today. Got the hinges made for the body and I'm lovin' it. I also got the frame to lock in place with the body down too. Did more chassis gap filling as well by placing a plastic floorboard piece down for the sheet metal one and then added a rear brace.

I'll do some more on the leaf springs later tonite.

20150818_132817.jpg

20150818_132823_001.jpg

20150818_132828.jpg

20150818_132904.jpg

That's exactly what I'm doing Brad. Chris started it with himself and Bro J. I talked to John, then Chris and, although I kinda' invited myself, they agreed the Nomad could join the party.

Fact of the matter is, this will end up being the Little Bro to their Big Bad Bro's, but I'm happy to be along for the wheels up ride. YEE-HAAAAAA!!!!!!!

BTW, if I can't figure it out myself, I might need some decal advice from you. :D

Everybody, thanks for the support.

I didn't get a chance to do the leafs last nite, so I'll give it another shot shortly here.

This co-opetition (Darryl Waltrip's word for cooperative competition) gave me the opportunity to start a build I had scheduled for after the Charlie Allen car. I already had the body and the Impala, so I jumped the gun. It was originally an idea I've had since I was a kid. I saw something similar at the Rose Parade in 1970. The parade route was used for local car clubs for a midnite, pre-parade parade. It may have been a previous incarnation of the Chevado with the Toronado engine. Sometime later I saw the Chevado in a magazine, either Car Craft, Hot Rod or Popular Hot Rodding. Possibly Mad Magazine. I was even more confused then than I am now. True Deal.

As I was researching this build, I saw the High Five Seven, the Flashback and Emergency West. Therefore, main subject is the Chevado. Front hinge from the High 5 7, roof from the Flashback  and engine set up from Emergency West. So, in lieu of actual progress, I present this stuff:

SS_55_SFRW_I.jpg

579314-1920x1080-[DesktopNexus.com].jpg

55wheelstander.jpg

1443888268_26e0beb21c-vi.jpg

Thank you, Thank you Paul. That was exactly what I needed. My U. S. Dart that you saw in Vegas is still packed away. She and her sisters are waiting for a suitable display case. I miss her.

Yes, all of my builds are "she's". I even call them Baby, Huney, Snoogies, etc. Let's keep that between ourselves, shall we?

It's been a few days since I posted progress. Sorry about that.

In another instance of "What I Wanna' Do vs. What I Hafta' Do", The plan was to knock out the springs next. Well the engines need to be a little further apart than I hoped for, so I need to back-half the frame. This eliminates any hope of keeping the fender wells. Also, I need exact engine positioning before I start the new rear framework. I've spent my time today doing engine subassemblies and a preliminary front engine spacer. Once that's done, I'll get the tranny's spaced and start work on the frame.

Best laid plans.......See y'all soon.

Hey Art. How's the best Pro-Tech dealer on the west coast today?

Great, Joe! Glad to see you plan to use some of Charlie's good stuff on this one. You know where you can get more! ;) Sounds like you've got some surgery ahead on this one...

Edited by Art Laski

ZILLA !!!! DUDE !!! What's taking so long ???

Well, it's like this. I tried a number of ways to make two engines fit. Only way to do that is a wide rear axle with the tires sticking out. I want to preserve the rear fender well shape. It's kinda' iconic for this car. WAIT !!! What if I use 1/32nd engines ? Naw, I like this set up.

I made the frame back half. Still in rough and raw condition, but it'll git 'er done. Then I removed the front cross member and replaced it with a solid piece.

NEWS FLASH !!! I am so not ready for aluminum parts, but workin' it anywho. I got these from Micro Nitro about a year ago and it's high time I used them. I did pilot holes for the lug nuts with a pin vise hand drill, then used a portable drill to finish them off. For the center hole, I flipped them over where there is a mound. After using the mound center as a pilot to drill that hole, I ground off the rest with my Dremel, the whole time wishing I has a drill press. I'll be getting one after the first of the month because blower pulleys are next. (Insert laughter here if this is what you did before you got your drill press / mill.)

So, that's it for now. Enjoyables. 

20150826_203514.jpg

20150826_203525.jpg

20150826_203542.jpg

20150826_203608.jpg

Edited by Nytrozilla