Model Cars Magazine Forum

top dragster scratch build

comp1839

.....are those minions of yours free for about a week or so?

Free? No. Cheap? Yes. Available? As soon as I get the wing configuration on the Fiat done, they are yours.

You can get Banana flavored Beggin' Strips at Pets 'R Us.

My recommendation: Work the 37 until satisfied, give Tim as much help as required, blow-off work.

• 1 month later...

so, i had a little time to do some work to the dragster. changed the transmission choice to a lenco 3 speed and a clutch..........just because i can. going to make the can hollow so i can make a clutch that you'll be able to see through the adjustment window. the can was machined from a 3" round and took about 2 hours worth of machine time. probably 6 hours worth of drawing time.  next will be the clutch. ooooohhhh.....lots of fun!

Man is that nice and being able to see the insides of it even more so. I hope you recycle all of that aluminum that is cut away. Looks like you used less than 10% of that 3" round raw piece. What grade and hardness of aluminum do you use for some thing like this?

Wow Dave this is killer, the detail you guys put into your work is art at the least. I have started a couple of projects but I just can not build with the skill that you,Codi, Chris, and John and many others. Afraid to post my junk now. Thanks for sharing guys.

Edited by Magic Photos

john, again thanks. the original idea is kinda stolen from clay's pro stock display. so, rightfully, i have to thank him for the idea. thanks clay!!!!!!

paul, thanks. as soon as i am done here i'm off the the drawing table to draw up the clutch and other accessories that i will need.

tim, mine may be bigger than yours (i had to squeeze that in) but, yours is no less as cool.

brad, i can guarantee i used less than 5% of that piece of  round bar. sometimes you have to destroy a lot to get a little. hehe. the aluminum is just your standard 6061-T6. nothing special.

mike, glad you like where we're headed. i don't know why you wouldn't post your stuff. always loved your work!!

mike, i know tim and i both will share just about anything there is on the PROCESS of how we do stuff. the caps aren't for you mike (iborg).

Dave... It's great to see you back at the bench on this build. That clutch can is one awesome piece of machined art. That engine is looking great with the transmission. IF you need any help with drawing up the Clutch let me know cause I know a guy that could help. if they are a bugger to machine they could be 3D printed ;)

Thanks Dave for the kind words, I am starting a couple thing the 1973 Don Schumacher Wonder Wagon Vega 1-16th scale and a new 1984 Ford Tempo Kenny Bernstein the 260 mph car I made the body and casted it so I could a couple more cars later. Chris Sobak is letting me use his ideas for the Wonder Wagon and I am waiting on a couple magazines for the Bud car. Thanks guys for posting all your work it does help alot. I will start a post soon on the Wonder Wagon and Bud car. 

chris, thanks bud. i think i know that guy you're referring to.......nice guy.  call me....we'll talk.

dave, thank you and i'm glad you like what's going on.

mike, can't wait to see these 2 funny cars! especially the "batcar". that thing was "loaded" with technology. if i'm not mistaken nhra banned quite a few of armstrong's idea's on that car. BAD CAR...can't wait to see it.

got a few moment to works on the clutch drawings. got far enough to make the flywheel. the clutch is going to be a 7" dual, maybe a triple. it also utilizes a 12" flywheel.

DSCN7885_zpsqwsj0lis.jpg

DSCN7886_zpsuqit3upv.jpg

Edited by comp1839

thanks brad. you should DEFINITELY get a lathe. maybe a small mill, too. there is nothing like machining metal to forget ones woes or worries.

here is the cover for the clutch.

now all that's left are the spring cups(6), clutch arms(6), stands(6), doughnut(1), disc's(2 or 3) and floaters(1 or2). plus the cross shaft and fork and throwout brg.

DSCN7889_zpsixna4kbe.jpg

DSCN7890_zpsskyezh6p.jpg

DSCN7892_zpsrxsozuko.jpg

DSCN7893_zpsinslbo42.jpg

Edited by comp1839

WHOA Dave.  With your idea of putting the car up on jacks etc. with wheels off and who knows what else you have in store for us, might you consider making a 2nd clutch can with trans to put on the car and put this one on a "pallet" or other pedestal for it.  You could show off the can and clutch apart / separately which it will truly deserve.  You had to have already thought of it right?   Too many options which is a nice problem to have when you make such wonderful things.  Just tryin' to help my friend.  ;)  Wish I had those sorts of "problems".   cheers, tim