Model Cars Magazine Forum

Indy Pace Car decals

Hi everyone! I'm trying to put together a full set of Indy Pace Car decals, does anyone have a full list of the ones that Cady did, or maybe other after market decal makers? I have about 30 of the Cady sets, and can confirm about 15 others I don't have, I would like to find out which other ones may be out there that I don't know about.  Any help would be appreciated!

Postwar through the early Nineties, it's probably easier to list Pace Car decals that Fred Cady didn't do..

'47 Nash sedan (no kit or resin available anyway, at least that I've ever seen)

maybe the '74 Hurst/Olds (Firebird Designs does that one)

one of the mid-Seventies Buicks ('76?, the silver one)

'77 Olds 88

possibly the '80 Trans-Am (MPC did the kit, and it has the decals anyway--though you have to do some rearranging to get the "Turbo Trans-Am" lettering for the doors)

'83 Riviera (nothing out there as far as a kit or resin that I'm aware of)

'85 front-wheel-drive Cutlass Calais (a guy named Ken Glenn did a vacuform body for this, but I haven't seen one of those in thirty years)

'87 Chrysler LeBaron, '88 front-wheel-drive Cutlass Supreme (again, nothing close for either of those)

Fred Cady covered ALL of the Fifties, and ALL of the Sixties.  His prewar stuff is scattershot, but mainly created around existing kits that can be converted or are "close enough" for most folks.

After 1990 or so, for the most part it's either feast or famine...there's either a pre-assembled Pace Car promotional model (like the Corvettes and Vipers), or there's nothing available that's even close enough to do a conversion (like the Olds Bravada SUV they used one year)...

• 2 months later...

Does anyone knows where to find the decals for a 1955 Chevy BelAir Indy Pace Car ?

As most of them are in white color, I canot print them.

PS : 1/24 scale

Was there not a complete kit of this? Do a search and I think you will find a kit, complete with decals.

I would REALLY love to have a set of Indy pace car decals for the 1/20 scale Dodge Stealth.

DSCN3993.JPG

Ken, AMT did a kit of this car with the decals in 1/25, not 1/20 though, but still rather easy to find. Since the Stealth was a Mitsubishi that was re-badged for Dodge the UAW complained about a foreign car pacing the Indy 500 and it was replaced by the Viper to handle the pacing duties at the last minute. But the Stealth was still used for parade and official duties. If you notice on your pic the door says "official car", not "pace car", maybe if you searched for "official car" decals you may have better luck, similar to the set Cady did for the 37 Cord "chief observer car".

Yep Craig, I have the 1/25 scale Stealth kit but the decals are too small for the 1/20 scale Lindberg Stealth. I want to build the lindberg kit as the car above but need the decals to be in the correct scale for this. Got the paint, got the detail stuff down, just need the decals.

• 3 weeks later...

Ken, AMT did a kit of this car with the decals in 1/25, not 1/20 though, but still rather easy to find. Since the Stealth was a Mitsubishi that was re-badged for Dodge the UAW complained about a foreign car pacing the Indy 500 and it was replaced by the Viper to handle the pacing duties at the last minute. But the Stealth was still used for parade and official duties. If you notice on your pic the door says "official car", not "pace car", maybe if you searched for "official car" decals you may have better luck, similar to the set Cady did for the 37 Cord "chief observer car".

Please don't single out the UAW . I am a Hoosier . MANY Citizens , not just Hoosiers , put up a Fuss using a Jap Car to Pace the "American Race" . Nowadays .. ?????   Thanx ..

Please don't single out the UAW . I am a Hoosier . MANY Citizens , not just Hoosiers , put up a Fuss using a Jap Car to Pace the "American Race" . Nowadays .. ?????   Thanx ..

Guys, I'm sorry, I didn't intend to single out, or offend for that matter, anyone! If you look at where I'm from, I have some very strong auto ties. I was only paraphrasing the story that I have read many times in many different medias. If I came across as taking sides, or bashing anyone, I apologize!

Agreed.

Guys, I'm sorry, I didn't intend to single out, or offend for that matter, anyone! If you look at where I'm from, I have some very strong auto ties. I was only paraphrasing the story that I have read many times in many different medias. If I came across as taking sides, or bashing anyone, I apologize!

No , I did not take it as coming from you as a truth . The Media is the Cause and Perpetuation of the "not quite correct" information . You sir , are excused ! I was a Technician at a MoPar Dealer at the time . Chrysler Employees on ALL levels let their grievances known to all involved in this . Thanx .. 

Yep Craig, I have the 1/25 scale Stealth kit but the decals are too small for the 1/20 scale Lindberg Stealth. I want to build the lindberg kit as the car above but need the decals to be in the correct scale for this. Got the paint, got the detail stuff down, just need the decals.

Ken, have you considered scanning your decal sheet from the 1/25 kit into your computer, re-sizing them to 1/20, then printing them onto blank decal paper? It may sound crazy, but it may work!

Craig