Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevy six sylinder engine

Anyone know the best Chevy six cylinder (in line) I am looking for an old straight six "Blue Flame" too put into a Revell 57 Black Widow 150. I was thinking the AMT 51 Chevy kits would be a good source but I don't have one of those kits. Any other kits have a good Cevy six? I know the 53 Corvette has one but I am wanting a regular engine, single carb, oil bath air cleaner. Help me with some ideas, please :)

That's cool Bill!   I had just ordered those air cleaners from Ken Kitchen.  I bought 3 each of the early and late versions.

I have a few cars planned using that pickup engine.  I once owned a '56 Chevy 110 2 dr sedan with a six and powerglide, and I had bought my girlfriend a '64 Biscayne 2 dr sedan with the same.  Both of those cars need to be immortalized in plastic. 

That's cool Bill!   I had just ordered those air cleaners from Ken Kitchen.  I bought 3 each of the early and late versions.

I have a few cars planned using that pickup engine.  I once owned a '56 Chevy 110 2 dr sedan with a six and powerglide, and I had bought my girlfriend a '64 Biscayne 2 dr sedan with the same.  Both of those cars need to be immortalized in plastic. 

Tom, here is a sadder Chevy story for you. I once owned a 57 Chevy 210 hardtop that I got from a friend when he bought my Cougar. His wife insisted he give me the Chevy because she was tired of him working on it. It had a rebuilt 283 with a single 4 bbl and had a Borg Warner T10 4 speed with a Hurst shifter. It also had the cast aluminum Corvette valve covers. The paint was a repaint in a bright metallic green, all black vinyl upholstery and the inside window trim had all been chromed. Outside it was stock except the V emblems and Chevrolet scripts had been removed and holes filled. American Racing 5 spoke aluminum wheels. There was one problem, the car leaked oil rapidly all over the bottom and back of the car. The previous owner said it needed a new rear seal in the engine, The old 283's had a "rope" seal that had a Chinese handcuff thing on the end and once you took the pan off and jacked up the engine you could feed the seal through and replace the cap, pan and engine mounts. Did not solve the issue, did it twice. The car ran perfectly, looked good except for all the oil on the trunk and back bumper. I finally got tired of adding oil and a guy at the gas station I frequented offered me $250 for the car, SOLD!

The sad part is that the guy took the car to a professional steam cleaner and had the bottom cleaned thoroughly so he could see where the oil came from. Turned out the previous owner had put in SW gauges in the chrome bezel under the dash. They were purely analog and there was a steel oil line that ran from the filter block to the back of the oil gauge. The guy had cross threaded the brass fitting into the filter block where the oil pressure was about 60 psi, that was the source of all the oil. The new owner spent under $2 to repair the fitting and I have regretted that deal for the past 40 years!

I have a few cars planned using that pickup engine.  I once owned a '56 Chevy 110 (ed. note: 150 or 210?) 2 dr sedan with a six and powerglide, and I had bought my girlfriend a '64 Biscayne 2 dr sedan with the same.  Both of those cars need to be immortalized in plastic. 

The 60 truck engine would be wrong for the 64 Biscayne...63 and newer used a different motor. 

For the Biscayne you'll need to hunt down one of the sixes that was offered in the AMT '63 Nova wagon or the '64 El Camino. I think those are available in resin from somebody - not sure who (or if the axle hole was filled in).

Edited by ChrisBcritter

For the Biscayne you'll need to hunt down one of the sixes that was offered in the AMT '63 Nova wagon or the '64 El Camino. I think those are available in resin from somebody - not sure who (or if the axle hole was filled in).

Thanks Chris!  I have several of the MCW sixes from the '63 Nova wagon set aside for such projects.