Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch Built 1958 Mercedes-Benz LP 333 Twin Steer Truck aka "Tausendfüssler" - Plus Tutorial: Making Louvers (complete)

Hi,

When I showed my first two scratch built German vintage trucks in this forum in 2013 and 2014

1937 Mercedes-Benz L 10000 Scratchbuilt 1/24

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75830

Scratch Built 1951 Büssing 12000 U13 6x4 Underfloor Engine Truck

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=82042

there was more response than there is usually for European trucks.

Maybe there will be also some interest in my latest scratch build that I finished some months ago.

In 1958 the German Transportation Department reduced the maximum dimensions and weights of brand new trucks. The official motivation was accelerating road traffic but the inofficial motivation was providing a competitive advantage to the state-owned railway company. At any rate all German truck manufacturers had to re-design their heavy trucks.

Mercedes-Benz decided to offer the first German twin steer truck called LP 333. Coevals found that it looked so odd (to say the least) that it was nicknamed "Tausendfüssler" (= millipede). Despite its odd appearance it became a sales success, and though originally designed only for the domestic market it was also sold in many other European countries.

To my knowledge only four LP 333 have survived. One of them, a late model, is displayed at the Mercedes Museum in Stuttgart.

The original 1958 LP 333 looked like this:

comp_01Vorb-vi.jpg
comp_02Vorb-vi.jpg

When I started my model I was aware that building the cab would be laborious and difficult, because almost every surface was curved into all directions. The deeply recessed, angular windscreens would not make things easier. Nevertheless ultimately everything became even worse. Approximately one and a half years of almost daily work. was more than any other of my former projects required.

comp_LP33300168-vi.jpg
comp_LP33300268-vi.jpg
comp_LP33300368-vi.jpg
comp_LP33300468-vi.jpg
comp_LP33300568-vi.jpg
comp_LP33300668-vi.jpg
comp_LP33300768-vi.jpg
comp_LP33300868-vi.jpg

Edited by Plastheniker
Fotki links replace PB

Thanks for the recent replies, you really make me blush!

Amazing. Are you saying you did the same level of Detail to the Chassis Also!?

Yes, I use to detail the chassis of my truck models completely as far as the details might become visible when the model is turned upside down, i. e. I always replicate e. g. air and brake lines, hydraulic lines, as well as linkages for clutch, brakes and gear shift.  I don't spend any effort, however, for things that will remain invisible in any case. The a. m. Büssing pictures show the Büssing chassis from underneath and may give an idea what I mean.

Yes, i am too. Amazing work Jürgen.

How many hours do you spend on a Truck like this?

The Mercedes L 10000 and the Büssing required approximately one year each, i. e. approximately 1000 hours.

As mentioned the LP 333 required approximately one and a half years, i. e. approximately 1500 hours.