Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hands free display lighting?

I have an illuminated curio cabinet to display my models, with an in line rotary switch. Any ideas out there on how to create a passive on-off switch that senses when someone is in front of it? My attempts at finding some info on Google turned up little. Sounds like something for someone with a home security background. If it can be done for under $100 I would be interested.

Art has the right idea (IMHO).

I used a motion sensing light switch in a hallway that had the switch in the middle of the hallway which made for stumbling in the dark till I installed a motion sensing switch.

I got one at Home Depot but I think most home improvement stores would have one.

Everybody is right on the money do far.

Home Depot sells JUST the motion-detector switch from an outdoor floodlight unit for about $25. (part # Defiant 745-407). It's a simple 4-wire hookup. They work great (but you have to be careful to not exceed the maximum-rated switching current). They can be series-wired with your existing switch, and have the ability to be turned "on" , bypassing the motion-detector function. They also cover 270 degrees in front of and to the sides of the unit.

I've used several of these around the outside of my house, after having had some problems with intruders. 

The units are adjustable for sensitivity and give approach-warning even in full daylight (as long as the unit is shaded from direct sunlight).

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

You could buy a standard motion sensing interior light switch. Mount it in a standard single gang plastic box. Mount it near the cabinet and you have both the motion sensor and the switch to turn it all off.

I have several of these in my house in rooms where we seemed to leave lights on, like in my wife's walk in closet.