Model Cars Magazine Forum

what i got for xmas

cobramike

I don't celebrate it but I took the time off to build me a workbench in the house! This is monumental for me. My wife has always had a disliking for my hobby but, after 26 years, we finally found a hobby for her to enjoy. It's nice to have a dedicated area in the house where I don't have to put it away each time or work in the unheated garage. I'm a happy guy now.

Here is a pic of what I was working on last night along with my Street Freak 67 GTX.

Later- 

20151226_210941.jpg

Cobramike. I like those 66 TBird kits. I plan to build the car in Dean Martin's Murderers Row movie.

I have liked the car since my parents bought one in 66. It just seemed to be so refined, stylish, modern, big, beautiful etc.  In fact my dad built a new garage just for that car. I used to imagine myself riding in a space ship while in the car.  Only time my fols drove it was on Sunday to show it off.  They took some long road trips with it too. My dad traded it in for a new 71 Galaxy 500.  Now that car was a BOAT!
I have been lagging starting the build on this, I wnat to get it started because I am going to be laid up for 6 weeks with my right wrist being fused, so not much control of my hand. 

My great uncle bought a 66 new. Drove it for 20 years, daily driver many cross country trips when he worked for Disney. In 1986 he gave it to my mom, who had always loved the car. She kept it until it became too hard to find certain parts for, but I understand it's still on the road in my hometown. This kit is my list to build a replica of the one she had.

Look forward to following your build.

I started it this morning, it's kind of weird that the top isn't attached, has tons of flash, the top has a tree attached to it that is tough as nails to trim off, also the body has a strange tree like bar attached to the visors and door top. Since the top isn't attached I will most likely make it a rag top. They looked so sleek and the lines were very beautiful on the 1-1 cars, but the top down really made these cars stand out. 
It has the 390ci motor, a 428 could also be in this car. Same motors, just bored and stroked a bit.  Same carbs as well. the 428 had 435 HP compared to the 390 high compression motor having 315HP. The torque was very different though. 390 made 427 lb/ft the 428 made 462 lb/ft.  

My great uncle bought a 66 new. Drove it for 20 years, daily driver many cross country trips when he worked for Disney. In 1986 he gave it to my mom, who had always loved the car. She kept it until it became too hard to find certain parts for, but I understand it's still on the road in my hometown. This kit is my list to build a replica of the one she had.

Look forward to following your build.

I have to admit, i'm not good at taking pics and updating models while working them. However I will try to keep this build updated for you Talon63.

Even on the original annual AMT '66 TBird kit, the roof was separate. Unlike '65 and earlier, AMT only offered the full kit as a convertible. In the hardtop box, they added a landau top that you glued on. The HT box was different but the contents were just a convertible and an added top.