Model Cars Magazine Forum

`65 Plymouth Hemi Super Stock "Melrose Missile"-Moebius/Model King

69NovaYenko

Chrysler had four cars prepared for the 1965 NHRA Winternationals to run in A/FX because the NHRA wouldn't let the AWB cars run in that class. They had acid dipped bodies, carbs and a 2% altered wheelbase. They ran A/FX. The Super Stock cars were two door sedans. They were run by the Ramchargers, Color Me Gone, Golden Commandos and Melrose Missile. All were later converted to the full altered wheelbase cars. I would guess this model represents one of those cars.

You are correct about the four 2% hardtops. They also ran the AHRA Winternats in SSE (Super Stock Eliminator) under a zany handicap system.Melvin Yow ran a '65 Dodge hardtop (sponsored by O.B.Hewett) in NHRA -Legal A/FX the rest of the '65 season.  This was a separate vehicle built to compete against the Mustangs and Comets in NHRA and did quite well.

I think Fred Cady did a set of decals for this car.

d6b698cdc088c58cc248863adea84bc9.jpg

Edited by doggie427

Never in my wildest  dreams did I think  here would be a stryene kit produced of an AFX Mopar kit. The model gods have heard my pleas .

I've been toying with the idea I need  to buy several more of the Speed City resin kits over this winter,,,,I will have to rethink that one

The factory had 12 10"/15"  AWB cars built - 6 Plymouths and 6 Dodges..

If I have it right all 12 were hardtops with sedan doors - a 13th car a sedan

- Bill Flynn's Yankee Peddler Dodge was built in Dick Branstner's shop.

The Plymouths Were - Golden Commandos - Melrose Missile, Sox and Martin, Lee Smith, Butch Leal's Californita Flash, the sixth car was used by the factory for testing

Dodges were - Ramchargers, Color Me Gone, Dick Landy, Dave Strickler Bill Harrop's Flying Carpet and Bud Faubel's Honker - the Color Me gone car was taken by the factory and sold to MR Norm - in a dispute over money .

The "2 percent cars were converted to 10"/15" cars and are included in the tally above

Maybe 5 or 6 of the 13 cars listed here still exist

Survivors are  Faubel's Honker; Strickler's car, Dick Landy and Yankee Pedler  -  Dodges

Lee Smith, Golden Commandos,and Cecil Yother claims to have the remains of the Melrose Missile car _ these are the Plymouths

Edited by Dave Metzner

• 5 weeks later...

The racers that ran hard tops quickly discovered how flimsy the acid dipped modified bodies were compared to the pillared sedans. I'm building a Max Wedge Dart right now and am really hoping that this kit gets released before I have to start scratchbuilding those wedge exhaust manifolds that come with it...the Super Stock primary exhaust and dumps will make my life easier as well...

The racers that ran hard tops quickly discovered how flimsy the acid dipped modified bodies were compared to the pillared sedans. I'm building a Max Wedge Dart right now and am really hoping that this kit gets released before I have to start scratchbuilding those wedge exhaust manifolds that come with it...the Super Stock primary exhaust and dumps will make my life easier as well...

I bought a set of those maniolds in resin a couple of years back on eBay, I looked to see if I had any record of who I got them from but can't find the package, if I do I'll post it, but I do know they're available in resin.

Edited by horsepower

I bought a set of those maniolds in resin a couple of years back on eBay, I looked to see if I had any record of who I got them from but can't find the package, if I do I'll post it, but I do know they're available in resin.

I seem to remember that Modelhaus had a Max Wedge listing. I'll have to check, because for some reason I think the manifolds were for a 426  stage III engine--which were decidedly different in appearance as compared to 413 manifolds. The manifolds that came with the AMT 49 Mercury were kinda close (But not really...) The manifolds in this kit are spot-on for a 413 and early 426. and fenderwell headers, while a cool substitute, are a pain to make I'm really looking forward to this one and have a copy reserved at my LHS when they arrive

The Melrose Missile kit is a Hemi car - with the Factory Hemi headers.

The Belvedere kit has the Max wedge exhaust manifolds, intake and exhaust system with cut-outs..here's a photo of the Belvedere built-up. and the underside of the Melrose Missile built-up as well

These are both test shots extra holes on Melrose Missile floor will not be present in actual production kit.

034.JPG

CHASSIS2.jpg

Edited by Dave Metzner

Those headers on the  missile kit look really well done.  That Hemi looks mean even from the bottom.  I would leave the front wheels straight, since the rest of the steering parts don't seem to turn with them.  I always glue my wheels solid and  straight anyways.  That's a nice looking kit.  I know the rear measured out much closer to stock than it looked on the Satellite, but it just looks so spindly behind that Hemi!     Still, it looks like the Missile should be a really nice kit.  I probably won't buy one due to massive stash reduction efforts, but it should be a good seller, even  without me!  

Sweet,

Now put the Hemi in the sedan kit with the tires shown on the MM car  and I'll take a case right now .

But, I do have a question. Was the Hemi exhaust tooled up using original OEM parts. Just curious they are near impossible to find in decent shape in the 1/1 world

Edited by gtx6970

Those headers on the  missile kit look really well done.  That Hemi looks mean even from the bottom.  I would leave the front wheels straight, since the rest of the steering parts don't seem to turn with them.  I always glue my wheels solid and  straight anyways.  That's a nice looking kit.  I know the rear measured out much closer to stock than it looked on the Satellite, but it just looks so spindly behind that Hemi!     Still, it looks like the Missile should be a really nice kit.  I probably won't buy one due to massive stash reduction efforts, but it should be a good seller, even  without me!  

The 8 3/4 diff was the only game in town until the 1966 model year (coincides with the intro of the "Street Hemi") when the Dana 60 was implemented (standard with 4-speed ; optional with Torqueflite) . I've always pondered the mortality rate of the otherwise ample 8 3/4 when it was placed behind a Hemi / 4-speed !

I've always pondered the mortality rate of the otherwise ample 8 3/4 when it was placed behind a Hemi / 4-speed !

Especially when you take into consideration the size of the pinion gear at the time in an 8-3/4  was I think a 1.5" max .

Its my understanding they trashed more automatic transmissions than rear axles back then .

Those 8 3/4 rear ends could be pretty tough.  We ran one behind a 440 in Super Stock, and I have seen them survive things on short tracks that no rear end should survive.  That said, I'm sure the Dana 60 was welcomed in '66 when it became available.  We broke a 727 when we caught some traction a few feet off the line  but the rear was fine.  If the gears were aligned correctly, and the clearances were all okay, they would usually be fine. The '69 and up with the larger 1 7/8 pinions were tougher, but the 1 3/4 could be set up to take some decent power too.  That said, I'm glad that we had a '69 car so we could run the 1 7/8 in Super Stock!  We were sort of punishing things with a 440 in a Fury!  We had to run the 8 3/4 because that was the only rear in the Fury with the 440 in '69.  Later as rules opened up, we could have run a Dana 60 with a locked spool and the works, but when they first started, the rear end had to be available with the powertrain being used.  

The Belvedere kit has the Max wedge exhaust manifolds, intake and exhaust system with cut-outs..here's a photo of the Belvedere built-up. and the underside of the Melrose Missile built-up as well

034.JPG

Which Belvedere kit are you referring to that has the Max wedge exhaust manifolds, intake and exhaust system with cut-outs...

Lindbergh factory stock

56ca275199ff2__35.thumb.JPG.ad3ec01fdfab

Lindbergh NASCAR

s-l500.thumb.jpg.4af075d902e48dca829dc1a

AMT

AMT_31156_58Belv.thumb.JPG.c2c4e7fbe72d5

Edited by 69NovaYenko