Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '54 Chevy Sedan Delivery-Now in "Under Glass" Section-09/16

mustang1989

Well the good word is that my wife is home with us now! :D She now starts the next chapter in her recovery as we set up her therapy here in Corpus and begin the doctor visits that will monitor her progress using routine CT scans to ensure everything is still ok. I'd like to thank everyone who has followed along with that progress and has offered their support and prayers for her well being and recovery. We're just taking it one day at a shot here and rolling with the punches but all is very well so far. She walks with no assistance and the casual onlooker wouldn't know she ever had anything happen save for an eye patch for the time being. She'll have double vision for a while but as I understand it that's par for the course and should get better over time.

I will add a bit of humor to the equation here as my son and I were at Walmart in SA just yesterday morning grabbing a bite to eat at McDonalds inside. As we came back out to the car to go back to the hospital I spotted inspiration for my next build right there in the parking lot. It was a daily driver with a  baby seat in the back seat. I couldn't help but to start laughing and thinking that I just had to make this one come to life in model form. I've spotted a body from Perry's resins so far but don't know what kit to pattern it after. Here's the link to the body. http://www.perrysresin.com/catalog/pages/gm_malibuwagon.htm

Does anybody know what kit that's patterned after?

The perfect "grocery getter":

001_zpsqdwkiwqn.jpg

002_zpseu9i23t9.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

glad to hear the good news about your wifes recovery !

the wagon looks like it will be a cool build !      not sure what you could use for a donor kit . maybe the revell pro street 67 chevelle ?

Well the good word is that my wife is home with us now! :D She now starts the next chapter in her recovery as we set up her therapy here in Corpus and begin the doctor visits that will monitor her progress using routine CT scans to ensure everything is still ok. I'd like to thank everyone who has followed along with that progress and has offered their support and prayers for her well being and recovery. We're just taking it one day at a shot here and rolling with the punches but all is very well so far. She walks with no assistance and the casual onlooker wouldn't know she ever had anything happen save for an eye patch for the time being. She'll have double vision for a while but as I understand it that's par for the course and should get better over time.

I will add a bit of humor to the equation here as my son and I were at Walmart in SA just yesterday morning grabbing a bite to eat at McDonalds inside. As we came back out to the car to go back to the hospital I spotted inspiration for my next build right there in the parking lot. It was a daily driver with a  baby seat in the back seat. I couldn't help but to start laughing and thinking that I just had to make this one come to life in model form. I've spotted a body from Perry's resins so far but don't know what kit to pattern it after. Here's the link to the body. http://www.perrysresin.com/catalog/pages/gm_malibuwagon.htm

Does anybody know what kit that's patterned after?

The perfect "grocery getter":

001_zpsqdwkiwqn.jpg

002_zpseu9i23t9.jpg

Joe.... I have a 83 Chevy Elcamino promo missing front bumper and glass that could be converted into one.

Well thank you for the resource there Mark! Turns out that the folks that offer the body also offer a promo style chassis to go with it as I found out. Just gotta save a little $$ to obtain those items. I've already got the cowl induction scoop located. What's funny is that before I saw all this I had bought this months Super Chevy magazine which had this on the cover:

http%3A%2F%2Fwww.discountmags.com%2Fshop

Coincidence? I think NOT! :D

I was hoping to be more along than what I am here but this part took alot of work. First off I added a wiring harness that I still have to do some work on regarding a couple of circuit breakouts from the main harness. I took a piece of telephone wire and stripped the end off of it and used coil winding wire from a GM fuel pump relay to wind around the phone wire to replicate the plastic black conduit that you see on alot of more modern engines. Then I put a terminal end on the alternator cable with a nut glued onto that. After that I started on the throttle linkage by building the bracket and pivot lever (which was four pieces when you count the two PE retaining bolt heads that I glued onto it going into the intake manifold) and got that glued in.

I'm going to put a hold on the fine detail for the time being and build up the headers, paint them and glue those into place so I don't have to handle the engine very much when installing the rest of the throttle linkage and fuel delivery pieces.

Progress pics:

I'll be using braided fuel line like this:

and anodized fittings like this (I've already got these on order BTW Wink) to replicate the fuel delivery system:

Joe,

I normally don't come up here to the four wheeler section. But I saw your Sedan delivery and had to take a look. You have an awesome project going on here !

Secondly Sending you and your family some good wishes and lots of good karma !

Be Well

Gator

It's update time again fellas! I've put it off for a few days in order to get most of the way through the throttle linkage process. Here is everything but the return spring and throwing a little Tamiya Smoke on the PE linkage parts to give 'em that true metal look.

The big picture:

002_zpsun1f8l56.jpg

and a little closer at a couple of different angles:

001_zpsq1v2zhcq.jpg

003_zpsjdvbfo2x.jpg

What to use for the return spring? I was sittin' around thinkin' of what was best to use for one of those on my last build. I've seen folks wind their own and I just don't care for the look. 1.) the coils are not uniform most of the time and 2.) I kept thinking that there's gotta be another way. I came up with the perfect solution for me.animierte-smilies-computer-020_zpsxmbudy Most of you have quick access to one of these:

A 1:1 scale turn signal bulb. Just break the bulb glass:

RSCN0251_zpstuc0vwef.jpg

pull the element out:

DSCN0248_zpsk6reczia.jpg

and you've got yourself a return spring............

RSCN0249_zps12wxkekx.jpg

Really nice Engine Building there Joe. And depending on how it works out there may be 6+ flashlight bulbs who's existance will end due to your "Tip"! 5 of which will depend on the filiment size of the first.

Edited by Crazy Ed

Oh yea, a BTW 'bout breaking those Bulbs. You'll get a higher yield if you use Combination or Channel Lock style Pliers that break the (cloth wrapped) bulbs at a size just small enough to bust the glass - Vice Grips work well also. It's a trick I learned while converting regular bulbs to LED Long ago.

very nice details love it... btw a return spring .. if you can find superthin metal wire (i found some at a womans hobby store) and turn it around a steel needle pin .. you get almost the same result as the bulb .. the bulb idea is great btw ... but when you dont have a bulb ... :)

again looking awsome !!