Model Cars Magazine Forum

"32-32" Aurora '32 Ford

Modelbuilder Mark

OK, let me try this again. I have no idea why the pictures were not loading the other day, but I did post from my phone. I picked up this older kit at the Phoenix Desert Scale Classic this past spring. The box was in pretty rough shape so I pitched it, and I did not get a picture and do not have instructions. I know it is an Aurora, is 1/32 scale and seems it may have been a friction model our slot car at some point. I do not recall the kit name. It has a multi piece body, which did not want to align. There were also large gaps in the body sides that needed replacing. There was also a really bad roof texture that needed removing. SAM_0575-vi.jpg
Hosted on Fotki SAM_0574-vi.jpg
Hosted on Fotki SAM_0601-vi.jpg
Hosted on Fotki I also cut away the molded in drivetrain to give the chassis a bit more realism, as well as remove the molded in side pipes. SAM_0605-vi.jpg
Hosted on Fotki SAM_0606-vi.jpg
Hosted on Fotki SAM_0612-vi.jpg
Hosted on Fotki The grill shell also has these awful light mounts than needed to be sanded away. SAM_0628-vi.jpg
Hosted on Fotki The original motor for this kit was way too large and comical. I have heard several times over the years that the red ram hemi in the re-done Ala Kart kit is a little under scale, so l thought it would work here. The kit transmission was too large, so I swapped it out from the parts box. SAM_0625-vi.jpg
Hosted on Fotki SAM_0650-vi.jpg
Hosted on Fotki I will be using a bit more modern style "spoked" wheel. SAM_0626-vi.jpg
Hosted on Fotki Parts box rear end. It will have a rudimentary air bag suspension. SAM_0621-vi.jpg
Hosted on Fotki The car was originally going be a dark metallic grey, but the paint job did not agree. So I re-shot it in Testor's Deep Purple Pearlescent. The fenders fell of the paint stand on my last wet coat, and fell right into the carpet, so they had to be sanded down and shot again. My wife got me a dehydrator recently, so I got to use it for the first time, so I did not have wait so long on the fenders. SAM_0631-vi.jpg
Hosted on Fotki Polishing not complete yet in this photo. The color looks lighter in this picture than in person. SAM_0648-vi.jpg
Hosted on Fotki I hope to get the sub assemblies coming together over the next few days.

• 2 months later...

My first finished project of the year! Finally!

Sorry, I did a lousy job keeping photos.

This started life as an Aurora kit, 1/32 scale, multi-pieced body kit, thus the moniker 32-32.  This one had the molded in chassis, with exhaust, side pipes, and rear axle all molded in place. I cut out the chassis to add the rear end, scratch built the links, aluminum tube for exhaust and the mufflers were pilfered from an AMC Hornet chassis that was on the parts bin. They looked undersized for 1/25 scale, so they looked right here. Same with the Ala-Kart motor to some extent. Gas tank is from the parts bin, and am not even sure the kit source.The wheels and tires are also parts box, and I were supposed to be 1/25th but looked undersized as well. Shot with Testors Deep Purple Pearlescent decanted and shot through my airbrush.

This was intended to be a fun departure for me. I think it turned out OK, but there are things I wish I had done better.

Thanks for looking.

What I started with.

Inline image

became ...

Inline image

Inline image

Inline image

Inline image

Inline image

Mark A Hubbard

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark

That would be the Aurora 32 Ford Sedan kit which was also had an earlier version released as "32 Skidoo", it's on my "to do" list since it is basically a replica of one of the early iterations of the Lil Coffin.

I took some photos of Mark's 32-32 at DSC12, it looks real good to me.  :)

Edited by blunc
added text

• 3 weeks later...