Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shelby Cobra CSX2260 FIA Roadster

afx

Looking good as always. Those wheels are sweet,they are knock offs only?

Thanks Tommy.  The tires are just as nice as the wheels.  Yes they are knock only. 

Not sure why my Fotki account has started reducing the photo size but if you click on the picture you can see the image full size.

Edited by afx

This is going to be a really awesome build. Have you added the suitcase dimples in the trunk yet?

Thanks Maxx.  If I settle on a Daytona or Sebring car I don't need to create the suitcase bumps.  They weren't added until the cars went to Europe.  In addition my research indicates CSX2301 never received the suitcase bumps. 

Edited by afx

JC, I just looked up Viking blue, and they show several Cobra's in that color, very cool.

I also found this link about the 50TH ANNIVERSARY FIA 289 SHELBY COBRA, from Shelby American I thought you might like to see if you already haven't. The car is in Viking Blue, wow:

http://www.30npire.com/cars/50th-anniversary-fia-289-shelby-cobra

Edited by Speedfreak

JC, I just looked up Viking blue, and they show several Cobra's in that color, very cool.

I also found this link about the 50TH ANNIVERSARY FIA 289 SHELBY COBRA, from Shelby American I thought you might like to see if you already haven't. The car is in Viking Blue, wow:

http://www.30npire.com/cars/50th-anniversary-fia-289-shelby-cobra

That's one sexy beast Gene!  It looks to be a recreation of CSX2260 which was identified by the yellow nose stripe.  Hope my paint comes out even close to that good.

Edited by afx

Hey JC what are you using for primer and how is it applied?

As usual, great workmanship.

Regards

Brian Kroon

Thanks Brian.  Because of the body mods I used Dupli-Color High Build primer applied straight from the can.  I apply a coat then sand it back around any seams to flatten everything. Once I am happy everything is even I apply another coat. I really like Dupli-Color primer especially the spray pattern of the nozzle - good stuff.  Tamiya's primer is also excellent.

7140770_dpl_FP101_pri_larg.jpg

I also like their standard primer. But beware the color is quite a bit darker.

7140885_dpl_DAP1699_pri_larg.jpg

Less we forget what hairy chested beast these cars were.  Here is Bob Bondurant firing up CSX2345, which is completely original and unrestored. It is exactly how it appeared in it's final event, a hill climb.

CSX2345 was original painted Princess (Viking) blue but was re-sprayed Guardsman Blue (Shelby' team color) for the '65 season.  You will notice they didn't bother to mask off the jacking points just sprayed over them

Edited by afx

Thanks Nie & Tony glad you're enjoying the build. 

Ron I always enjoy your projects so if I can provide a bit of a spark I am happy to do so.

HRM provides resin pins on the bottom of the Webers but I fell more confident with brass rod.

DSCN3226DSCN3224