Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shelby Cobra CSX2260 FIA Roadster

afx

Thanks Gene & Ray. 

I'll admit my fuel lines are not the proper gauge. The fuel log and the Weber fuel fittings just don't lend themselves to anything larger.

DSCN3230

Great looking engine JC.  What scale is the HRM kit and how does it look in the chassis (large/small/ pretty close)

Great looking engine JC.  What scale is the HRM kit and how does it look in the chassis (large/small/ pretty close)

The HRM engine is 1/24 scale but I think it fits both the AMT and the Sunny 1/25 scale kits just fine.  You have to sand down the top of transmission and tunnel/foot boxes a bit but that is about all.  Here is the same engine installed in the AMT chassis for another project.

DSCN0970.JPGIMG_9507.JPGDSCN1002.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Maxx.  Gene I am 99% sure they used a racing fuel blend.  I recall reading a race account recently where the fuel mixture caused an issues.  I'll have to look it up to be sure.

Finally found the the race recount reference I was looking for Gene. According to The Cobra-Ferrari Wars recount of the '64 Daytona Continental 2000 KM race the Gurney/Johnson FIA roadster burnt a piston late in the race and dropped a cylinder.  When they tore the engine down they determined the burnt piston was caused by "improperly formulated track-side fuel".

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by afx

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've settled on chassis CSX2260 which ran a unique stone guard at Sebring.  Here is my attempt to replicate it which I am not satisfied with.  Therefore I'm building the Targa Florio car instead.  It has a simple single bar guard and I prefer the TF marking to those of Sebring as well.

DSCN4305

Here is the final shape of the jack points and the start of the Targa guard.

DSCN4307

Edited by afx

• 2 weeks later...