Model Cars Magazine Forum

Save your money: Titanic semi-replica to set sail in 2018

Ace-Garageguy

Actually, even though Titanic had way too few lifeboats on board, it actually had more lifeboats than the law at the time required!

Right. To slightly exceed minimal, was still insufficient. I guess that was my point. I can see their perspective at the time, as no one expected that a problem or group of compounded problems, would ever sink the ship. Sad stuff. I also recall that two? of the propellers were never designed for reversing, or that in itself might have assisted and perhaps even helped avoid the collision in the first place.

Actually, even though Titanic had way too few lifeboats on board, it actually had more lifeboats than the law at the time required! So I can't fault Titanic's designers or the White Star Line. They met the requirements of the day and then some.

Now, the cheap rivets, on the other hand... ;)

Harry what ever happened to the White Star Line..?

The White Star Line is "technically" still in business Carl, they were bought out/merged with Cunard in the mid-30s due to declining sales caused by the depression and the emergence of air travel. There has been several attempts at this idea over the years,but the idea of using the Titanic name has met resistance from Cunard because they still owned the rights to the name. Maybe this project has gotten off the ground because Cunard has something to do with it, or have sold the rights to use the name.

The White Star Line is "technically" still in business Carl, they were bought out/merged with Cunard in the mid-30s due to declining sales caused by the depression and the emergence of air travel. There has been several attempts at this idea over the years,but the idea of using the Titanic name has met resistance from Cunard because they still owned the rights to the name. Maybe this project has gotten off the ground because Cunard has something to do with it, or have sold the rights to use the name.

Wonder if they own the relic being brought up all the time...?

Wonder if they own the relic being brought up all the time...?

No, but the Lloyds of London, who are also still in business, who insured the ship and everyone on board, usually try to say they do when things are brought up because they paid all of the insurance claims.

This is Titanic's younger sister His Majesty's Hospital Ship Britannic during WWI. She was to have been named Gigantic in following with the mythology names of the other ships in the Olympic class, but had name changed after Titanic disaster, and to give it a more patriotic sound during the war. She hit a mine and sank in Nov. 1916 off of Greece, having never made a passenger crossing. She is only 400ft. down, is often used as a stand in for Titanic when details are needed.

HMHS Britannic.jpg

There is a very high-end recent issue die-cast of the Norseman, can't remember who made it but is in the $200-$300 range if I remember correctly.

Maybe it is Minichamps 1:18 you are thinking about?
https://ck-modelcars.de/en/eur/p/25011/chrysler-norseman-year-1956-light-blue-metallic-1-18-minichamps/107143320/

another titanic fan here.

how about Violet Jessop, there's a girl who should have bought a lotto ticket!

was working on the Olympic when it got into a collision with a cruiser & got some holes punched in it.....was working on the Titanic when it went down....was a nurse on the Britannic when she struck a mine & sank.

she's the real "unsinkable molly brown" lol

Wow! So what happened to her later on?

• 1 year later...
On 2016-02-27 at 6:51 PM, Harry P. said:

Another interesting factoid... (yeah, I'm sort of a Titanic afficionado)...

Titanic was thought to be "unsinkable" because of the design of the ship. The hull was divided into a series of bulkheads from stem to stern, each bulkhead considered "waterproof," so if one of the bulkheads was compromised, the rest would hold strong.

But the walls that separated the bulkheads only reached part way up to the deck! If one bulkhead was compromised, it would fill with water, and then the water would splash over the top of the bulkhead wall into the next bulkhead... and so on! Which is exactly what happened and why Titanic sank.

What were the designers thinking??? :blink:

They might have been better drilling holes in the floor so the water could drain out