Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mack B83SX Heavy Hauler Under Construction

So I'm sitting at my work bench fiddling around with my DM600, and I get to wondering what a B81 cab would look like on that chassis.  So I dug out an old Jim Etter era MTFA resin cab and plop it on the chassis.  Hmmmmm, looks good and I'm off track again, taking off on another tangent that is SURE to become another long project.  Took the cab and cut out the hood, thinned the hood panels to look better, and installed a hood hinge strip between the hood halves.  That looked cool.  Then I realized I never liked the thick fenders of resin cabs, though a necessary evil.  So out came the razor saw and off came the fenders. Went to my Mack junkyard and got a set of DM800 fenders out. Cut them down to replace the resin ones and fitted into place.  So, I guess I am falling victim to my regular problem.......a short attention span for one project. So, this one will be a heavy duty twin screw tractor, probably red and black, though like most things with my projects, subject to change.......often!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by redneckrigger

that,s a virus , i do the same , take a cab , try it on a chassis [ what is make for another cab ] look,s good and there you go again

that,s why the hobby table is to small [ ore to much built in my head and idee,s ]

wil see how its gone look

like these old mack,s

jacobus

Finished reshaping the DM fenders to fit, cut body seam lines in, attached them, and I think they look pretty good. I think I figured out the hood hinge. I used a piece of stainless wire that comes on Chinese takeout food containers, and cut the top edge of each hood half back by the diameter of the wire. I then superglued and zip kicker attached the wires to the hood edges. A couple holes were drilled into the radiator support and a couple slots cut into the underside of the cowl for the rods to pivot in, and it works. I just need to fine tune it to make it fit perfect. I think it resembles the original interlocking leaf hinge pretty well. A bit of putty to fill in the rough spots, and it looks fine. I have mocked it up here to show approximately what I want it to be, and on to the next step......................once I figure out what that is!

b81 001 (Small).jpg

b81 002 (Small).jpg

b81 003 (Small).jpg

b81 004 (Small).jpg

b81 005 (Small).jpg

b81 006 (Small).jpg

b81 007 (Small).jpg

Edited by redneckrigger

• 2 months later...

A little update, finally found some time to work on the old dog. Got the chassis finalized using a DM800 as the source instead of the original DM600, added fuel tanks and air tanks, battery boxes, and a V8 engine. Removed the cast on roof marker lights. Narrowed the wheelbase of the rears and added the radiator to the resin cab casting. Did another mock up with rear fenders. Am going to put a winch on the back with a pto chain drive if all works out well.

b81 (Small).JPG

b81-3 (Small).JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

• redneckrigger changed the title to Mack B83SX Heavy Hauler Under Construction