Model Cars Magazine Forum

It has finally arrived. Now I go to work.

JerseeJerry55

Hello all. My Monogram 1970 GSX has finally arrived from Hobbylinc. Pretty excited about it. As I have previously posted its my first car model in 30 or so years so I think the basic build should take place. Tamiya Royal Blue with a black interior. I thought about a white interior but that may be reserved for when I am more experienced. I will post my progress as it goes (hopefully it goes well). Planning on doing it as a 1970 GS as the GSX decals have me a bit skiddish as does photetched parts. Thanks for looking.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Enjoy it. I recently started my first model in about 30 years too. Now I have four started. Eventually I will finish one.

Plan out what gets painted the same color and paint them all it once. Most things can be stripped and redone if you aren't happy with it.

Test fit the pieces before you paint and make adjustments as needed.

Next thing you know, you will have a complete model.

Enjoy it. I recently started my first model in about 30 years too. Now I have four started. Eventually I will finish one.

Plan out what gets painted the same color and paint them all it once. Most things can be stripped and redone if you aren't happy with it.

Test fit the pieces before you paint and make adjustments as needed.

Next thing you know, you will have a complete model.

Thanks. I am really looking forward to this build. Have chosen to build as a GS Stage 1 rather than the GSX. So no spoiler or body colored headlight bucket covers. Have chosen to paint her a Royal Blue similar to the picture I uploaded. Although my model will have a Black interior whereas the picture shows a White interior. I picked up Testors rattle can royal blue, flat black, and their grey primer last night. Have read that Testors may be a no no these days. Anybody's thoughts on the paint brand will be welcomed. Gonna be raining here in South Jersey over the next 4 days so the painting will be put off a bit. So if I'm making a mistake on the paint brand I can return it,

KenGS1.jpg

I picked up Testors rattle can royal blue, flat black, and their grey primer last night. Have read that Testors may be a no no these days. 

IMO, PLEASE don't use Testors grey primer paint! :o

MANY years ago I tried it and for me it never fully dried. I don't consider it a true primer------you're better off using an actual automotive primer such as Plastikote, or Duplicolor. The rattle can Royal Blue and Flat Black I can tell you will take quite bit of time to dry. With humid weather coming your way by next week (I live in PA), will almost guarantee that they won't cure fully anytime soon. 

One way to get around that is to get a food dehydrator with a temp control. Set the temp for 105°, and I've had bodies with enamel paint become fully dry and able to be handled within a day.

Hope this helps!

Edited by MrObsessive

On the Testors rattle cans, my only experience involved spry nozzles that would always mess up. I would invert the can to clear the nozzle after use, but it would still spray everywhere on the next use. I have even had that happen on the first use, hard to understand what is going on with that. Their lacquer paint is ok but their enamel not so much. At this point it would be an additional expense to go to better products but would save you a lot of frustration. I personally like Tamiya paint but some times use Model Masters depending on what color I'm after.   

MANY years ago I tried it and for me it never fully dried. I don't consider it a true primer------you're better off using an actual automotive primer such as Plastikote, or Duplicolor. The rattle can Royal Blue and Flat Black I can tell you will take quite bit of time to dry. With humid weather coming your way by next week (I live in PA), will almost guarantee that they won't cure fully anytime soon. 

One way to get around that is to get a food dehydrator with a temp control. Set the temp for 105°, and I've had bodies with enamel paint become fully dry and able to be handled within a day.

Hope this helps!

okay just went and got a can of duplicolor primer from the auto parts store (grey color) then had to order Tamiya TS19 from my hobby shop he was out of the color. Have to return the Testors to the store. Thanks for the tips. Bought a bunch of different glues which I will update which ones on the next posting.

okay just went and got a can of duplicolor primer from the auto parts store (grey color) then had to order Tamiya TS19 from my hobby shop he was out of the color. Have to return the Testors to the store. Thanks for the tips. Bought a bunch of different glues which I will update which ones on the next posting.

Anybody know if there's a set of Cragar rims that will fit the 1/24 scale GSX's tires with out any rework? I believe that the stock GSX rims are two piece. Any help as always is appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Jerry

Hope this helps!

Also do I have to sand the primer before painting? If so what grit, how hard do I press, and anything else I may need to do to prep for paint. Thanks for looking.

Also do I have to sand the primer before painting?

Some opinions will vary, but I usually sand the primer a bit before I add color coats. 

If so what grit, how hard do I press, and anything else I may need to do to prep for paint.

About a 600 grit is what I use so that the paint will have some "teeth" to grip on to when adhering. I can't give you a pressure rating for sanding........that's something that'll be unique to each builder. I would strongly advise practicing perhaps on a junk body or plastic spoons to get a feel for the paint.

I would add that since your newly back at this, you might want to check out Donn Yost's guide to painting. I'm not sure of his URL to order----he does post here, and his paint jobs are top notch! ;) 

Thanks for looking.

You're welcome! 

I should add Jerry that it wouldn't hurt to wash the parts in some mild dish detergent and let them air dry before attempting any painting. This will get rid of any molding release oils that may be on the body and other parts, and will wreak havoc with your paint job. 

Any kind of degreasing detergent should do.............Dawn, Joy, etc.

Hope this helps!

I should add Jerry that it wouldn't hurt to wash the parts in some mild dish detergent and let them air dry before attempting any painting. This will get rid of any molding release oils that may be on the body and other parts, and will wreak havoc with your paint job. 

Any kind of degreasing detergent should do.............Dawn, Joy, etc.

Hope this helps!

Hey Bill,

Thanks for replying back. Did wash the frame, and body in detergent and allowed it to air dry. Will do the sanding in a few days as I have to wait on the TS19 my LHS has ordered for me. Thanks again your tips/suggestions are invaluable.

Also check to see if there are any mold lines in the body before you put color on it, you will be glad you did! Not familiar with that kit and where the body lines might be, but a close inspection should show them.

Welcome back to the hobby and enjoy. As you have found out, there are some helpful people here and don't be afraid to ask questions, that's what we are here for!

Anybody know if there's a set of Cragar rims that will fit the 1/24 scale GSX's tires with out any rework? I believe that the stock GSX rims are two piece. Any help as always is appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Jerry

If you can get your hands on a Revell 37 Ford (1/24) scale, you will have a nice set of Cragar S/S wheels..

Jerry - That GSX is coming along quite nicely .

In regard to parting lines ; I recognise that the C-pillars have one on them ( I can see them in your photos ) . They're right around the area where the roof and C-pillars meet ... ... just like on the "1:1" car ;)

Jerry - That GSX is coming along quite nicely .

In regard to parting lines ; I recognise that the C-pillars have one on them ( I can see them in your photos ) . They're right around the area where the roof and C-pillars meet ... ... just like on the "1:1" car ;)

Thanks. Quick question since it's been primed do just sand the lines flat or does it take more than just sanding? 

Thanks. Quick question since it's been primed do just sand the lines flat or does it take more than just sanding? 

The most popular tool to use is an emery board . They're available in various grits , just like sandpaper .

That's what the primer does ; it shows imperfections in addition to its 'regular' job .

574448d481c5d_71m17cnK5L._SL1500_.thumb.

The most popular tool to use is an emery board . They're available in various grits , just like sandpaper .

That's what the primer does ; it shows imperfections in addition to its 'regular' job .

574448d481c5d_71m17cnK5L._SL1500_.thumb.

So just get an emery board (sanding stick) and sand the line flat? What grit and shoot a second coat of primer? Never have done this before so want to be sure on this.

Depends upon how much of the line needs to be eliminated . I know that the C-pillar parting lines on the GSX are mild (e.g. , not as 'offencive' as others') , so I'd suggest that you start with the blue-coloured board , and finish with the lighter pink board . You can use flat black as a "guide coat" in the areas you're sanding / reworking (personally , I use alternating primer or flat colours when reworking an area ; grey primer , red oxide primer , and flat black allow for one to check their progress ; finish up with your choice of matching , final primer colour --grey in your case) .

Any hobby shop should carry the emery boards . I recommend that you start with the dark blue / light blue & pink / light pink board , that way you have all of the grades you need on one board .

Depends upon how much of the line needs to be eliminated . I know that the C-pillar parting lines on the GSX are mild (e.g. , not as 'offencive' as others') , so I'd suggest that you start with the blue-coloured board , and finish with the lighter pink board . You can use flat black as a "guide coat" in the areas you're sanding / reworking (personally , I use alternating primer or flat colours when reworking an area ; grey primer , red oxide primer , and flat black allow for one to check their progress ; finish up with your choice of matching , final primer colour --grey in your case) .

Any hobby shop should carry the emery boards . I recommend that you start with the dark blue / light blue & pink / light pink board , that way you have all of the grades you need on one board .

Thanks I appreciate all the help as I know my skill set is limited as compared to others on the board. I have a ton of ideas and with help I hope to achieve them. The way I look at it if I am 50% as good as the excellent modelers on the board I will have succeeded.

It's coming along nicely , all I would add is keep it fun on this first one . try not to get bogged down with doing everything "right"  . build it , ask questions you want answers to , and then when you're done assess the job you did and decide where you want to improve . good luck !