Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need some paint advice for my next project

Kmb0319

Hey everyone!  I've got two kits I'll be starting once our relocation settles... the Fujimi Ferrari 250 GTO and the Tamiya Mercedes 300 SL.  I'm really excited about both.  On the SL, I looked through a bunch of research photos, and one caught my eye.  I'm debating a little on using the interior color in these photos or going with plaid seat decals if I can find them, but the exterior color will be this:

300_SL_1.thumb.jpg.7da706dbfa2924221ed91

My question to everone out there is about this color.  I haven't checked automotive touchup yet, so maybe they have the exact thing, but... I don't have an airbrush, so I can't mix...  does anyone know of a good color match for this out of a can?  THANKS!!

Hi Kevin,

If you have the factory color code, check with your local automotive paint shop and ask them if they can match it in a spray can for you. I use an airbrush but I have had a few factory colors spray canned in the past. It may look expensive but consider that you can get a 12oz spray can for less that $20.00. Tamiya spray cans hold about 3.4oz  and prices range from $9.00 to $10.00.

The website below is just an example of what you may get at your local automotive paint shop:

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint_matched.aspx

Hope it helps.

Edited by Luis Ayala

Dexter Models and Blue Stuff decals have put out some plaid seat decals. 

Hiroboy has them listed but out of stock  at the moment.

http://www.hiroboy.com/124_MercedesBenz_300SL_Gullwing_Coupe_Plaid_Seat_Decals_A--product--9143.html

You might be able to find them somewhere else.

If you dont care about factory colour match, check automotive supply stores. Just take a copy of the photo with you they'd likely be able to give you a good match.

David

I like the colour scheme that you have right there, the light blue metallic over a grey interior is sharp. I've done a couple of models in colours similar to this one using rattle cans. One was done with Tamiya TS-58 Pearl Light Blue, and another was a Ferrari done in a duplicolor color called Avignon Blue. As the previous poster suggested check out the duplicolor rack at your hardware or auto supply store I'm sure you'l find something close and also check out the Tamiya rack at your LHS Tamiya have put out some very nice blues in their synthetic lacquer range and Tamiya is so easy to apply. Good luck and look forward to seeing what will be a beautifull model once it is done.

• 1 month later...

So I found Automotive Touchup paint on line but is this a paint that is carried at chain stores like Auto zone or Pep Boys or something? I'd love to find a local store that carries it.

Later-

I've never seen it in a store... Website only.  But, they deliver promptly, and their paint is amazing.  I've bought 2 colors from them... This and Pontiac Verdoro Green, and they are perfect.

Thanks. Verdoro green is one color I want. I also want to get KJ6 Avocado Gold......and maybe some Tripoli Turquoise and........

From what I saw your 1964 Mercedes 396 blue is listed twice. One.looks a bit darker than the other. Which did you get?

Later- 

Edited by Modlbldr

I didn't see a good color name for it in the 1954-1957 range of the 300 SL.  So, I did a Bing search on Mercedes B396 Blue, and found a picture of a 1968 Mercedes coupe that looked exactly the same as my reference Gullwing pic above.  So I went back to Automotive Touchup, looked up 1968 Mercedes, and found a listing for "Blue 396" and ordered that.