Model Cars Magazine Forum

IH Transtar II

Another build from the late 1970's this was an ERTL kit.  I really liked the ERTL kits back in the day, looked up the current prices and wish I had bought a truckload of them back in the day....would be able to retire!

The white paint hasn't held up well, it's yellowed.  The ends on the bumper were cut off as many did that back in the day. I was told it let air flow across the front tires which made it more stable at highway speeds.

163884819.jpg

163884820.jpg

Hi Warren,

the (now) ivory color suits this IH very well - looks like a typical fleet truck.

I've read somewhere (don't remember where) that the bumpers have been cut back then to avoid tire damage by bent bumpers which could cut into the rubber when a truck hit a deere at highway speeds. I've got no idea if this might be a plausible explanation !? Maybe any of the truckers here on the forum  knows more about this?

Hi Warren,

the (now) ivory color suits this IH very well - looks like a typical fleet truck.

I've read somewhere (don't remember where) that the bumpers have been cut back then to avoid tire damage by bent bumpers which could cut into the rubber when a truck hit a deere at highway speeds. I've got no idea if this might be a plausible explanation !? Maybe any of the truckers here on the forum  knows more about this?

You're right about the shorty bumper. Also, with the bumper pushed against the tire (in the case of a collision with a deer or other animal) the steering was greatly hindered. I think that this might be why GMC used plastic bumper extensions to make a full bumper on some of their trucks. 

Some of the very small shorty bumpers were used to save on weight also.

You're right about the shorty bumper. Also, with the bumper pushed against the tire (in the case of a collision with a deer or other animal) the steering was greatly hindered. I think that this might be why GMC used plastic bumper extensions to make a full bumper on some of their trucks. 

Some of the very small shorty bumpers were used to save on weight also.

also an old time driver told me that the companys got a huge discount from the insurance company for the use of the shorty bumper

I always liked this kit myself and yours built into a great looking fleet truck. Only thing missing is a wind fairing. As to the short bumper, another reason was weight savings. Every pound counts and the lighter the truck, the heavier the load it can carry. It didn't save much, but like I said, in the eyes of management at a fleet, every pound counts.

• 3 weeks later...