Model Cars Magazine Forum

CANNONBALL 2017

Jantrix

I have been away from building for 10+ years and recently started lurking around the forum. After reading through the aussieball topic and this one I figured now is as good a time as any to start building again.  

Great to hear Fred. Your story is my story. I'd stepped away for ten years and after lurking the 2010 Cannonball over on the other site, I bought fresh paint, glue, some extra tools and threw my hat in for 2011. I've been back under the modeling spell since.

Welcome back Fred. I like the van, but will it be fair? I mean he can cram alot of stuff in there and wont even have to stop......sounds heinke to me.

Good news for me. I got an email from Chris from C1 Models and my R8 shipped out last Friday. Hopefully it'll be here tomorrow so I can get some work done on it over the Easter weekend since I'll actually have a couple days off work.

Everyone's builds are awesome, looking forward to see more from everyone.

Welcome Fred.

I've built vans for previous runs.  
This one had a blown BBC, 'vette running gear and four 44 gal drums of fuel plumbed into the stock tank via a complicated pump and manifold system.
It was built for the last Scale Auto run, catching fire and exploding somewhere on the outskirts of New York.
CannonballVan003.jpg
CannonballVanWIP01-11-11001.jpg

Edited by zenrat

Hi I just came across this post today and was wondering if I could enter?  If so are the models judged by photos or do you have to bring the models somewhere to be judged? If they are judged by Photos I will be able to participate if not I live too far away from any major city to take part. 

Hi I just came across this post today and was wondering if I could enter?  If so are the models judged by photos or do you have to bring the models somewhere to be judged? If they are judged by Photos I will be able to participate if not I live too far away from any major city to take part. 

Hello Cale. All these questions are addressed in the original post on page one of this thread. Looking forward too seeing you work.

Du to some technical difficulty my razor blade sliped well cuting the trunk open and now there is a cut line across the back of the 1930 ford model A and don't fell like fixing it right now. I will find another model to build and post a pick of the kit

Finally!!! The R8 has arrived and is being rolled into the garage as of this moment. The tech's are on site and ready to roll and have a clear schedule today to get some work done.

Body work and chassis prep to commence immediately.

I've been tinkering.
I've glued the front subframe on setting the wheelbase.  Turns out the AMT '76 Caprice is exactly 5mm longer than the same manufacturers '70 Superbee.
With that done I then moved on to building motor mounts.  This necessitated removing the K-member so that'll have to be replaced with something tubular when I build some front suspension.

Had to bite the bullet and buy a new hood since I butchered my backup that I had to use since I seem to have inadvertently discarded the first one. Sheesh!

Trying to determine now whether I need to cut this one down a smidge because in some states it could be considered an obstruction but I can't afford to butcher this one. Comments?

WB Camro Hood Mockup.jpg

Edited by MeatMan