Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi BMW 5 Series Schnitzer S5

Funkychiken

The dash looks perfect. Would they have painted the steering wheel spokes blue or is that something you wanted to do ??

Well, the instructions say that the whole steering wheel is blue, however, it's a much darker blue. I did the outer part of the wheel in Black, just to make it look interesting.

• 1 month later...

The Chassis is now complete, the only issue was the exhaust position, it was too high & offset to one side. I made a simple washer out of plastic & it sorted it out.

I conducted another spoon test. The photo is not good, but the spoon on the right is under-coated with Tamiya silver spray, and the paint has been filtered through some tights, and thinned with Lacquer thinner. There are some large dark spots, but it'll do...

The tyres' flash was removed with this dremel thing, it made a bloody mess everywhere, and I almost lost the thread.

A bit of diluted Indian Ink lifts the details on the wheels... just the body left now.

Chassis Complete 2.jpg

de-flashing tyres.jpg

Indian Ink in the wheels.jpg

Spoon 2.jpg

chassis complete 1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Coming along very nicely, you don't see a lot these kits completed. Looking forward to the finished product.

It looks like you are getting a lot of splatter and dark spots on your test spoons - is the paint being thoroughly mixed? Spraying at about 25 PSI? Just make sure to test again on the spoons before spraying the paint onto the body. 

Edited by tmathew1us
misspelling

• 5 weeks later...

The body shell has been a battle. I've been trying to deepen the panel lines, and ended up having to fill my mistakes.

You can see how it turned out in the sun roof... not great.

So I've decided just to paint it as is.

It's Zero Paints primer, then a couple of coats of Tamiya  spray can silver - with a light sanding in-between coats...

I'll let this sit for a few weeks then go over it with the boston green...

20170905_192151.jpg

20170806_164104.jpg

20170806_164128.jpg

20170806_164135.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This is the body with the Boston Green Touch up paint applied.

It's Filtered through some old tights - due to heavy dark sediments. Not sue if that's part of the colour, or it's a defective mix.

It is also diluted quite a lot with lacquer thinner (Tamiya brand)

It has 1 mist coat, then 2 medium coats, then a few days drying, a light sanding with 6000 grit cloth, which went through to the silver substrate, then 2 more medium coats.

It's a strange colour, it looks really dark, but held up to the light and after a photo, it looks great. Not so great in real life, it's too dark.

The spoon is coated with Zero Paints 1K clear. It's had 1 mist coat & 2 heavy coats. Looks great to me. give it a week & I'll be applying the clear...!

20170925_183136.jpg

20170922_170718.jpg

Edited by Funkychiken
mistake

• 1 month later...

So applying to a spoon is one thing, but on a body, an entirely different kettle of fish...

I tried to coat the 1K over the body, using the same technique as I did with the spoon, and it was a bit patchy. Plus I had a bit of dust embedded.

I tried to sand too soon, and ended up ruining the clear-coat. I tried to recover it, but it didn't work. SO I keyed the whole body again, and re-sprayed the body. a few shots of that to follow. Only need to clear coat again now... but it'd getting cold...

20171026_191124.jpg

20171026_191120.jpg

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, geetee66 said:

That colour came out well in the photos.

I've had a few cars that look better to the eye, than a camera and that's no good when I'm posting them here! 

You got a nice finish on the clear, too. Looks like a buff-up is all it needs ?

2 hours ago, kelson said:

Nice looking paint job!,glad to see the masking came out nice and clean,i;ve had to repaint countless times because of bleed through.

Thank you sirs!

Really impressed with that colour and the masking, nice build, I will echo the comments of everyone else 90s Bimmers awesome.  I used the same tape the other week but still got bleeding with brush painting.  I guess you get less pressure on the tape with spraying.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:35 PM, skid896 said:

Really impressed with that colour and the masking, nice build, I will echo the comments of everyone else 90s Bimmers awesome.  I used the same tape the other week but still got bleeding with brush painting.  I guess you get less pressure on the tape with spraying.

Thanks Paul! yes I've used brush before & has it bleed (on window frames) so I do avoid that and go with the AB.

On 26/02/2017 at 10:13 PM, Funkychiken said:

And thanks to  Mr Espo, It got me thinking, and I decided to go for Boston Green.

Got this little bottle off eBay for about a fiver.

The pic is the colour I'm aiming for

20170226_200043.jpg

20170226_200051.jpg

IMG_6032.jpg

It's the same colour as our 7 series we had a few years ago, nice!