Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modelling Oddities/Mistakes

Not a mistake, just an oddity: The original annual MPC '66 Corvettes were molded in gray, not white. At least the four I have personal knowledge of are, all from different parts of the country (so presumably not all from one odd production lot). I've never seen another MPC or AMT annual of that era that wasn't molded in white. (There might have been some colored JoHan annuals around then, but every one of those I ever bought or saw was also white.)

My MPC '66 Corvette is gray too.  It didn't include a big-block engine, but MPC did include a second set of cylinder heads and valve covers to dummy up the small-block.  They're pretty lame.

As for molded in color annuals, the MPC '65 Dodges (the full-size cars, not the Coronet sold by AMT) were both molded in gold.  Sometimes extremely swirly, brittle gold.  I've got a convertible kit with a body that is in three or four pieces, broken along the swirl lines.  The convertible I built in the early/mid Eighties didn't have so much swirl in the plastic, and I don't remember having any trouble with that one.  I want to stick the second one together with the custom parts.  I've got a couple of hardtop kits too, no problems with brittle plastic in either of them.

A few of the AMT '63 annuals were molded in color.  The Mercury Meteor was molded in light blue (in addition to white), and the Fairlane was molded in light blue, cream, and white.  I've heard of Ford Galaxie convertible kits in light blue too, but I've never seen one of those.

My MPC '66 Corvette is gray too.  It didn't include a big-block engine, but MPC did include a second set of cylinder heads and valve covers to dummy up the small-block.  They're pretty lame.

As for molded in color annuals, the MPC '65 Dodges (the full-size cars, not the Coronet sold by AMT) were both molded in gold.  Sometimes extremely swirly, brittle gold.  I've got a convertible kit with a body that is in three or four pieces, broken along the swirl lines.  The convertible I built in the early/mid Eighties didn't have so much swirl in the plastic, and I don't remember having any trouble with that one.  I want to stick the second one together with the custom parts.  I've got a couple of hardtop kits too, no problems with brittle plastic in either of them.

A few of the AMT '63 annuals were molded in color.  The Mercury Meteor was molded in light blue (in addition to white), and the Fairlane was molded in light blue, cream, and white.  I've heard of Ford Galaxie convertible kits in light blue too, but I've never seen one of those.

Good info, thanks for sharing! B)

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this yet..........................

s-l1600.jpg

I don't remember the year this was intro'd (sometime in the '90's?), but I do remember more than a few guys were a bit miffed that what was shown on the box, was nothing like what was inside. The box shows a Bel Air two door sedan, but what's inside is the same two door hardtop which was the "new tool" kit intro'd a few years earlier.

Talk about being slipped a red herring! 

We would have to wait quite a few years until Revell intro'd their "Black Widow" '57 two door sedan, which was logically followed by an ACTUAL Bel Air version.

(pic courtesy of eBay)

Edited by MrObsessive

Well, there is 'railing', which one meaning of is the hand holds on the side of stairs, etc.   And there is 'rallying', which is a form of motorsport.   There is no word 'ralling' in the English language that I know of...

Edit: according to the Urban Dictionary, there is a slang term 'ralling' for taking Adderall, but that is a different context.

Edited by Rob Hall

I guess that you could just call this an oddity.

The Johan boxes for 1961 have a list of several '61 convertibles that were never produced.

I think that we could all agree that it would have been great if we would have gotten the '61 Chrysler 300 convertible!!

Steve

DSCN5833

Nah, it wouldn't. It would be as woeful as all the other Jo-Han rubbish, yet some morons with more money than braincells
would price them out of reach of any intelligent form of life.

This old ESCI kit of the 1979 Bandama Rally Mercedes 450 SLC contains 2 really subtle errors:

1. The text on the front of the roof should read "SUEDE," not "SWEDE."  ("Suede" is the French spelling of "Swede.")

2. The co-driver's name was Hans ThorSzelius, not Thorzelius.

ESCI-3018-2.jpg

Edited by Mike999
error