Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Hemi Cuda Convertible

jjsipes

Here is something I have been messing with while I have a few minutes down time at work. Didn't like the way Monogram had molded the front end of the Cuda and how it looked once flued to the body. It left a horizontal seem in the fender which is not on the real cars. Putted, sanded the character line in and scribed the panel line where it is on the real car. Looks better I think. The wheel lip didnt align for nothing so I had to build that as well.

20170331_143627_zpsqxtvdhqy.jpg

Edited by jjsipes

Here's a tip about the headlights on that kit.

The placement seems off when built from the box but the looks can be vastly improved by simply making the holes bigger, adding a thin strip of sheet plastic around each hole to form the bezel and adding larger lights.

steve's pics 413

• 2 weeks later...

Looking great , Jason

When this kit was first released  (c.2003) , I painted it GA4 , too ! Such a super colour ! I did up mine with white interior ; came out quite nice .

Those one-of-two French export models are amazing ; the first one was GA4 , and was the first 1971 Hemi'Cuda droptop built . The other one was GW3 Sno-White , and was the very last 1971 Hemi'Cuda droptop built . What are the chances ??

Keep up the great work !

Here is something I have been messing with while I have a few minutes down time at work. Didn't like the way Monogram had molded the front end of the Cuda and how it looked once flued to the body. It left a horizontal seem in the fender which is not on the real cars. Putted, sanded the character line in and scribed the panel line where it is on the real car. Looks better I think. The wheel lip didnt align for nothing so I had to build that as well.

20170331_143627_zpsqxtvdhqy.jpg

20170331_143635_003_zpsnnvte239.jpg

I feel your pain. Even as we speak, I'm "restoring" a previously built one (HT). After stripping it, I'm polishing the black plastic and of course came up against this inaccurate seam. I think I've figured out a way to fill it, leaving the joint virtually invisible in the polished black plastic. So far so good. If it all works out as planned, I'll be posting a tips/tutorial here soon, and  "Under Glass" pics too. Fingers crossed!

• 5 years later...
On 4/11/2017 at 3:11 PM, jjsipes said:

Jason,

Was this build ever completed? Based on these photos I’m looking to order Scale Finishes Winchester Grey for my own build of this kit. I also have the MCG photo etch set coming. I would love to see, if it indeed did get finished, how it came out.

Cheers,            
Wolf

3 hours ago, Wolf said:

Jason,

Was this build ever completed? Based on these photos I’m looking to order Scale Finishes Winchester Grey for my own build of this kit. I also have the MCG photo etch set coming. I would love to see, if it indeed did get finished, how it came out.

Cheers,            
Wolf

No, I haven't finished it yet. Have been sidetracked with some other projects and life.