Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rapid Transit System " paint code cuda "

dragmodels44

Color # 4.   If u notice I ommited the ,well it looked like an off white or tan? So I went to the rope banana / lemon twist, my guess for the yellow.  Out of 25 colors I will be applying 21. So far so good. Thanks for all the kind comments.

IMG_0020.JPG

Thanks guys. I meant to say TOP banana .  Actually, whether they are actually on the car or not, I wanted to add the hi impact colors. I thought initially the car was meant to show all the hi impact colors anyway. Here's how I broke it down, and I don't mind saying I went back and forth numerous times before I settled on this: 

starting from the rear,

pure gold / gold /dark yellow/ Chrysler yellow/ black/ go mango/ red/ ice blue/ white/ panther pink/ hemi orange/ go mango( again) / sublime/ dark green/ citrus yellow metallic/ red/ plum crazy purple/ med metallic blue/ ice blue(again)/ silver/ white

This is such a cool project and you're off to a great start. Muscle Car Review did an article on the real car. Neat idea, it's actually a vinyl wrap that was painted and everything on the car is totally reversible and removable  

Link - http://www.hotrod.com/articles/wild-1970-plymouth-barracuda-famous-muscle-car-never-existed/

Edited by Brett Barrow

I can't help but wonder if the car as featured in the Rapid Transit System brochure was based upon a "Tooling Proof" body ?

Here's some photos of a 1974 'Proof :

BodyProofQuarterPanel.thumb.jpg.ec372086BodyProofRightFront.thumb.jpg.5a79b70c5cNote its scribed lines ; oddly (or not) similar to the colour separations on the 1970 , huh ? 

Additionally ; certain colours weren't available until Spring 1970 , here-fore their 'absence' : 

FY1 Top Banana

FM3 Moulin Rouge 

FJ5 Lime Lite

FJ6 Sassy Grass 

Keep up the great work on your replica ! It's looking super nice !

I can't help but wonder if the car as featured in the Rapid Transit System brochure was based upon a "Tooling Proof" body ?

Here's some photos of a 1974 'Proof :

BodyProofQuarterPanel.thumb.jpg.ec372086BodyProofRightFront.thumb.jpg.5a79b70c5cNote its scribed lines ; oddly (or not) similar to the colour separations on the 1970 , huh ? 

Additionally ; certain colours weren't available until Spring 1970 , here-fore their 'absence' : 

FY1 Top Banana

FM3 Moulin Rouge 

FJ5 Lime Lite

FJ6 Sassy Grass 

Keep up the great work on your replica ! It's looking super nice !

Its my understanding the original photo is just that a photo . retouched to reflect the various colors for an advertising gimmick and there was never an actual 1/1 scale car.

WOW! Thanks for all the support! MCM Pro . Nice. I don't know about doing this one again though... LOL. ALSO, thanks for all these additional photos and info. I made a little folder with all the reference material I had and I'm going to add these as well! I especially like the wrap part on the real car, which I didn't know. I wish this part was that easy. I've been using my heat gun in between coats to try and bake it on and each time I mask it I tape only what's necessary and use plastic wrap to avoid constantly taping painted areas, especially the drivers side. Krazy Rick was right. Wish I'd started on the stripe side first. Oh well. Hoping for the best...ONLY 17 more to go!  

<snip> each time I mask it I tape only what's necessary and use plastic wrap to avoid constantly taping painted areas, especially the drivers side. </snip>

I was wondering how you were masking this. There's no sign of masking materials in the pictures, and I can't imagine taping off the whole car each time you change colors. I do very few multicolor paint jobs.

Very nice work. Looking forward to seeing the results.

I'm using tamiya fine line tape to mask the separation lines. Luckily there's very few curves. If I had to, I just cut the tape in half to follow a curve. They I'll use 3M blue masking over that that followed by clear Saran Wrap. Next pic will show the masking, which is very tedious.

Color #5.  You're probably getting tired of one color at a time.LOL. I'm going to add a few b4 another pic, but I'm loving all the feedback and additional info on this "brochure car" ? So , here's pics of my taping before and after a color applied, and true to form as I was removing the tape a chip of the yellow came off with the tape. I can't complaint, as that's the first lifting I've had. 

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

Just wanted to show the progress. I'm hoping to have most of the colors done by tonite. Since the white stripe, the rest were applied since 5am. About one stripe per hour. I think I figured out how to apply the black separation lines. Using the white pinstripe decals from the Sox  and Martin decals, paint those black, then clear them, then apply them. Any thoughts?

IMG_0034.JPG