Model Cars Magazine Forum

1981.5 280zx turbo

randyc

Here's my latest.  I see it is being reissued soon, I think.   Built for a guy I met on one of the forums who lost interest in model building but offered his modeling supplies as payment.   I thought that was cool enough.  I'm happy with the deal.  Most of it was brush painted and I stripped it all down and started over.  Cleaned up all the panel lines possible (yes behind the rear side windows are still visible).  Made new side glass from some thin clear so they would fit flush.

Car built to replicate a car the guy owned.  vanity plates from Acme plate maker.  Wheels & Tires from the recent Revell Cuda.  The kit wheels are ok but not what he had.  the kit tires are outdated for such a cool car.   These looked good in the fenderwells and wer close to what he had other than probably way bigger?  I painted the insert areas with brass and covered the whole wheel with a transparent mix of black and clear.  Same thing I mixed to spray the T tops.  I think it gave the wheels a pretty realistic appearance. I may use that on future chrome - looks less like toy chrome.  Hand lettering on tires is a bit rough, but no other options on hand.  

I love the headlights in this kit - the little metal ring is just about perfect and details nicely.  Engine bay is a bit sketchy - check out the brake booster and how it doesn't attach to the reservoirs.  The rest of the engine is nice, but could use some superdetailing, which I am just not up to at this point. Interior has the embossing powder for carpet - comes out nicely. I did change the pedals to a stick (pedals from an 88 Daytona scrap dash?)  and shifter from unknown project.  

My modeling goals are currently to make things as realistic as possible with what I have on hand and this is about the best I can do.  Not super shiny, but real cars aren't show car shiny.  When I started, I still didn't have my airbrush set up, but did get it before I finished, which helped a lot.  

Comments welcome.  Always looking for ways to improve - the cheaper the better. Working on a 67 Charger original issue now and a diecast Maverick next.  Have stripped the maverick and found some really nice body details under the heavy factory paint.   Replicate my wife's car from high school as close as possible.  And because MAVERICK.  What could be more mainstream?  Where's Faust?  lol

IMG_20170708_104133018.jpg

IMG_20170709_120240400_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170709_120336050.jpg

IMG_20170716_103937206_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170716_103948916_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170716_103956676_HDR.jpg

Yes it was.  Got a set of sprue cutters I would never spend that much on myself.  And some paints and decals and odds & ends.  It was a fun project.  Makes up for the other 3 so so zip cars I've built I  the past.  And doesn't take up space in my collection.  I like the building proceSS as much as the display part I think.  

It is AMT 1981 1/2 280zx turbo.  Originally AMT/Lesney, I think.  AMT model and art in the kit I built (gray background).  This should be the current release.  http://www.autoworldstore.com/product_p/amt1043.htm

No affiliation with that website.  Just first one that showed up when I googled.  I hope the decals have been redone.   the ones in the kit I used were horribly pixelated (dotted - pixelated is a current term).   Different printing process "back in da day".  I didn't need them for this build.   It needs new tires - maybe a set of BFGs or something besides bias ply goodyears.  It builds way better than the revell 240Z for certain.  Not as crisp as a Japanese kit, though. 

• 1 year later...

That looks really good, man!

I love that coppery colour; my brother had a really big toy 280 when we were kids. It was the same colour as that, pretty much (More brown, maybe, but close) and that's always the colour I associate with "Japan's T/A".  the bigger wheels actually work really well on it, too!

I wanted to get this kit, but I have the Tamiya of the same car, so I thought I'd save shelf space for more weird stuff. Now, If I could only get my hands on one of those Mavericks... :)