Model Cars Magazine Forum

Harry's 1956 Ford

Tom Geiger

IMG_2574.thumb.jpg.bdf7c4632fb2c35290cac

I've always been a sentimental type of guy so I like to have a model in my collection from friends of mine who have left us.  I recently bought Harry's pink and black 1956 Ford from his daughter Amy on eBay.  It didn't cost a lot, nor is it one of Harry's monumental master pieces, but it's by his hand and therefore I appreciate having it in my collection.  I picked the '56 out of the models Amy had for sale because I hadn't gotten around to building one and the photos I had in my unbuilt model's box were of this color scheme. Sitting next to it is a '55 Ford Ranch Wagon that was built by Todd McWilliams, another friend who has passed away. It's very appropriate that these sit side by side in my display case.

IMG_2573.thumb.jpg.c19597fdac0632ec53e3b

The model is a simple box stock build, nicely painted and detailed. The engine is not wired. I'm thinking that this was an early build of Harry's, and that he built a bunch of 1/25 scale cars before going into the large scale veteran car arena.  He never mentioned any of the 1/25 scale builds that Amy has been selling, if only he was here to explain their provenance! 

IMG_2568.thumb.jpg.1bfd0908d6e9838e72818

It also fits right into the year set between Todd's '55 and the '57 that I built many years ago. 

IMG_2578.thumb.jpg.052c94413568dcbe34843

I'm very pleased to have Harry's model in my collection.  Mark Gustavson once told me that when he was in the museum by himself late at night, he could feel the presence of  the modelers past, whose work is safely preserved there.  It's only right that we remember our friends in the hobby.

And if Harry was with us today, the first thing I'd say to him...  "It doesn't have any mirrors!"  I'm sure he'd crack a smile.   Rest well our friend, you have left your mark on this hobby and you will be remembered!

IMG_2575.jpg

You may have seen my post on this, but I couldn't resist getting the Danbury '58 Plymouth Fury that he once had. What's even nicer is that Amy still had the title with his name on it, which I'll certainly keep! 

Yeah, it'll be nice to get one of his own built ups too........some of them though I can understand if she wants to keep them.

What a great way to honor your friends who are no longer with us. You can look at these models and remember the good times you enjoyed with them. I can see how you might even feel their presence sometimes.

Very cool way to show your appreciation for Harry. 

He had this model posted here in the forum ages ago. If I remember it right he glued the door shut. 

It's a nice car, and a very nice build. That's for sure, even tough Harry hated it when we call our models "builds". Good old Harry. 

Wow, I'm really out of the loop here, I've been away too long. I had no idea that Harry had passed away. This is upsetting. 

Nobody pushed me to try harder with my models than Harry did. Every one I posted he was in there offering helpful advice on how I could do better, making me strive to make a model that he was going to be proud of. He suggested to Doc that my work be put into the International house of plastic book.

I'm happy to see his legacy is living on through other people's collections now, and that we have the chance to own some of his work and have a part of him in our collection. I'll have to get on eBay and purchase one, if Amy's happy to ship this far away.

Good on you Tom for taking this one under your wing :)