Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 512BB

Ack! Ack-ack!

When an uncle of mine gave up modelling cars and trucks he gave me all his kits. Among them were a lot of old kits and some kits of rather obscure manufacturers.

This BB 512 was made by Tokyo Marui. The old assembly instructions show some typical gimmicks of 1970s and 1980s kits, namely opening doors, electric motor and even lighting.

To tell the truth the only thing I remember is the odd fact, that all body parts came sprayed with a thick layer of a strange clearcoat that was very hard to remove for deburring these parts.

BB_1_klein.thumb.jpg.2f4db596719ec5546e6BB_2_klein.thumb.jpg.d6214dcc4a4b21cd6d4BB_3_klein.thumb.jpg.3f9b069a442cbefae92BB_4_klein.thumb.jpg.1549291a497eac5f6b2BB_5_klein.thumb.jpg.9a139429677c88fe314BB_6_klein.thumb.jpg.082f30ecb84e769238bBB_7_klein.thumb.jpg.a07e695cda07b745f18

Looks SWEEEET!!!!,  I love these Tokyo Marui kits, apart from having brittle plastic, the detail and fit is nice. I don't know about your wheels, but the tyres that came in my Pantera started melting the wheels......VERY aggressively. I had the Miura and the Pantera kits.

Turned out pretty nice. I have had the same kit in my stash for quite sometime and hope to one day build it as I have always been attracted to Boxers. Did you built it so the doors, headlights and engine cover open?

Mine lagged both wheels and tires so what you say my have been the cause!!??

Turned out pretty nice. I have had the same kit in my stash for quite sometime and hope to one day build it as I have always been attracted to Boxers. Did you built it so the doors, headlights and engine cover open?

All these parts are not movable on my model. Even if I don't remember the assembly instructions seem to give the explanation why.

The retractable headlights had to be operated by two visible protruding levers, okay for a toy but not for a model.

If I don't misinterpret the drawings the movable doors required very big and partially visible hinges.

And finally I suppose that huge engine hood would never sit properly if built movable.

Looks SWEEEET!!!!,  I love these Tokyo Marui kits, apart from having brittle plastic, the detail and fit is nice. I don't know about your wheels, but the tyres that came in my Pantera started melting the wheels......VERY aggressively. I had the Miura and the Pantera kits.

Mentioning the wheels ... I am not sure but I have a feeling that when building I used wheels from another kit because the Marui wheels appeared too small, but as said I am not sure. Anyway despite the age of my build there are no signs of melted rims.

Mine lagged both wheels and tires so what you say my have been the cause!!??

From my time as a military modeler I know that older Italeri models that came with vinyl tires ( f. e. 1/35 Opel Blitz) had the problem of completely ruined rims after a few years. Theoretically it was possible to prevent the tire plasticizer to get in contact with the rims by applying some aluminum foil, but in reality either too much foil was visible or too little foil didn't work. So when it is known that a certain kit has this particular issue my advice would always be to use other tires or other (complete) wheels.

It seems that I was lucky here.

• 3 weeks later...

This looks very good. Nice, to see a 512 generally! I often think about earlier days, when I had the Marui kit. The doors doesn't fit as bad as the head lights. Today I'm unhappy, that I sold the model car. Nowadays I would know how to handle such issues. Are your doors / hood / pop up lights working or did you glued them to the body?

If you don't mind: this are the only two pictures I still have of mine:

126.jpg

126_1.jpg

Don't know, what was on my mind to paint the interior white :huh::huh: Built it around 20 years ago, sold it 5 years ago. All stock. Maybe you could compare the wheels with yours.

Edited by christian-w

The BB and 288 GTO were my fav Ferrari's.  I had the Fujimi 1/16 model of the BB when I was a teenager, it was a bit beyond me at the time, but I liked the results.  I learned all about boxer engines building that 512.  I love the red with black lower area.  This car also looks super in white.

s-l225.jpg

Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated!

This looks very good. Nice, to see a 512 generally! I often think about earlier days, when I had the Marui kit. The doors doesn't fit as bad as the head lights. Today I'm unhappy, that I sold the model car. Nowadays I would know how to handle such issues. Are your doors / hood / pop up lights working or did you glued them to the body?

If you don't mind: this are the only two pictures I still have of mine:

126.jpg

126_1.jpg

Don't know, what was on my mind to paint the interior white :huh::huh: Built it around 20 years ago, sold it 5 years ago. All stock. Maybe you could compare the wheels with yours.

Nice pictures! As said all these parts were glued for the mentioned reasons. After looking at your pictures I am still not sure what I did with the kit wheels.

• 9 months later...

Some month ago I was the lucky winner on ebay for the kit - again. but 20+ years later :lol: So I'll maybe give it a try soon. Your decision to glue the doors etc. in place is a good one. When I built mine, I was really to Young. Nowadays I'd check the fitting first and try to get it work and look properly.

But when I see your 512 ... Maybe I'll glue it too. It's a nice car anyway. When I compare the pictures I don't see any different between the wheels. Ok, my picture isn't that good to see some details :rolleyes: