Model Cars Magazine Forum

3d Printed 1:25 "Certain T" body

mnagatani

My first post showing the 3D printed body of the well known showrod of the 60's.  The body was created on the computer and printed via Shapeways.  Images shown are the model in render view and the final print.  The body is available for sale on Ebay.

Mike

UncertainT_Lime_001.jpg

IMG_2739.JPG

Edited by mnagatani

Not much into show/street rods but WOW!

So you created the .stl files and sent them directly to Shapeways? May I ask who the vendor on Shapeways was? I recently got some very nice U-Joints from them, and while they were a wee bit on the rough side, they were very detailed for something so small. B)

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply!   The company (vendor) is under the name "3d scale parts" in the store.  Soon the store will have available all of my inventory, but as of now I'm keeping it limited.  Currently there are a couple wheels for sale, but will be adding at least a dozen or so more.  I am currently working on the website and Shapeway's store at the same time to make sure everything is in sync.

Are you doing the floor pan, dash, seats, frame and any other critical component for this ?

alan

Hi Alan,

Good question regarding the critical components.  I have been thinking the market will tell me what is needed.  I have been thinking about all those parts you mentioned and will it help the body sell?  Not sure yet.  The frame and seats I have thinking about, but waiting to see if others like yourself would need to have it done.  The dash is already located in the body.  Its a good question for sure as I'm letting the market make the final call.  I've had three buyers all which have not requested anything.  They could be scratch builders that want to take it on for themselves.  Thoughts welcome for sure.

Mike

The body looks much smoother than I'd expect. What material is it?

This is Shapeways "White Flexible Polish" .  It does require cleanup work from the start.  The material itself has a texture that can be sanded and I recommend a filler primer to take care of the rest.

This model kit had a limited run and the original kit sells for a pretty penny.  There is a current original model selling for 490.00  Will it sell?  I saw one sell last week at 350.00 maybe.  With that said there was builder that asked to make the body and he would take care of the rest.  I took it on thinking others might want it and not have to pay the high price.  From that I decided to make two Show Rod cars that were never made as models.  The "Stiletto and Roach Coach" will be in my hands at the end of this week.  I'll post up the pics when they arrive.  The 1:8 Fiat Topolino will be here next week.  Stay tuned!

Mike

Mike, the frame would be a time saver. I'm blown away you chose this (uncertain t) body to do. I know its either love or hate thing. I've wanted one since I was ten years old. I'll take one!!!!!!!! Not a "Buy It Now" sale Mike? What do you want for one?

Edited by Alix Bernard

My first post showing the 3D printed body of the well known showrod of the 60's.  The body was created on the computer and printed via Shapeways.  Images shown are the model in render view and the final print.  The body is available for sale on Ebay.

Mike

UncertainT_Lime_001.jpg

IMG_2739.JPG

Lookin' Good, Mike. Post the link to your listing on eBay for everyone who would like to buy one of these.