Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 300zx turbo

Plastic_Passion

Yep the Fairlady is coming along nicely !

thanks! Wish I had more hours in the day. Between working in a machine shop, running the daily errands, home life, and a lot of r&d on the flavor of the week...i need like 72 second minutes vs the real life 60. I think I'll be happier to post pics on Flickr vs worry about how much space I have left on here. Going to attack it some more on sat. More pics when I can!

Think I'm scrapping the paint idea I had earlier. I was going to do a pearl blue color with a offset double stop light red metallic stripe up and over. The inner strip was to be smaller than the outter.

Now I think I'm going to go irredescent green/blue with smoked brass wheels with either off white/cream and black interior or black and tan. If I go with the green color without the irredescent I'll prob go blk/tan.... If I throw the color shift clear coat on I'll probably go with offwht/blk interior. Let me know you guys think. 

The color shift clear is on the right. The non colored clear coated is on the left. I'll post more on flickr.

20171119_232314.jpg

Those wheels look like SSR's. Wheels like that always look good in bronze, but I'd like to suggest making them a real dark bronze. Is that what you mean by smoked? Many times the average bronze ends up looking like gold on a dark colored car. Here's a TE37 pic, maybe darker than this?

Related image

Edited by Draggon

id go for green ;) but you probably already guessed that from me... (even though on 1:1 cars im a huge fan of nice blue paintjobs!) looking forward to the end result!

so if I do the "colorshift" it'll still be green but it'll have blue overtones. Did you see the '91 trans am I just did Jer? But anyways I do like green too, but it' got to be the right green. I do love a good blue tho. But I feel like i paint a lot of blue cars.

Those wheels look like SSR's. Wheels like that always look good in bronze, but I'd like to suggest making them a real dark bronze. Is that what you mean by smoked? Many times the average bronze ends up looking like gold on a dark colored car. Here's a TE37 pic, maybe darker than this?

Related image

they do look similar to these, tho mine are 5 star mags. I think mine are enkei. Tho I maybe wrong. And I meant "smoked" in the sense of using transparent black over brass/blk met mix. I originally painted... I'll just show ya... keep in mind it'll be cleaner than this.... but you'll get the idea. Black from one angle but the regular color straight on..... I feel like i should call this thing the illusionist. Lol

20171120_194856.jpg

20171120_194845.jpg

they do look similar to these, tho mine are 5 star mags. I think mine are enkei. Tho I maybe wrong. And I meant "smoked" in the sense of using transparent black over brass/blk met mix. I originally painted... I'll just show ya... keep in mind it'll be cleaner than this.... but you'll get the idea. Black from one angle but the regular color straight on..... I feel like i should call this thing the illusionist. Lol

20171120_194856.jpg

20171120_194845.jpg

this darker brass color w/transpared black over it.

151122573008556649427.jpg

This is probably one of the best kits I've ever built, even though it's hardly the most detailed. Fit is perfect on everything, and the biggest challenge was painting the frit on that one-piece window piece. The car itself is gorgeous, and still looks fantastic twenty plus years later, but Tamiya nailed this one. Honestly, I would suggest building it mostly box stock using the PE parts, and maybe changing the wheels and tires out if you like.

Looking forward to seeing your progress. 

I agree so much with this

Well.... Theres the end of this project...for now........ my girlfriend completely destroyed the car by stepping on it. luckily it was only the body and not the whole car. so i guess its shelved untill i buy another kit so ill have a body again. i guess look out for fairlady take 2 coming soon.... sorry guys. guess i need a better work space too...