Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Mazda RX-7

GerN

The Monogram Mazda RX-7 has a Y-shaped intake manifold for the 2-rotor engine.  However, I think it had four ports, the center two close together.  Any interested experts out there?  Also, is this kit version or the Tamiya version better?

3 hours ago, GerN said:

The Monogram Mazda RX-7 has a Y-shaped intake manifold for the 2-rotor engine.  However, I think it had four ports, the center two close together.  Any interested experts out there?  Also, is this kit version or the Tamiya version better?

Tamiya's kit is just a simple curbside intended for motorization. I don't have the '79 version but the '81 restyle version...nice body, but simplified interior and especially chassis. The Monogram (now Revell) RX7 is much better overall, and it's the only first generation full-detail RX7. The stock intake is not Y shaped and when installed looks correct. The Y-shaped piece is for the race version, not sure what Monogram used as reference but it probably should have ports going to the center of the engine as well.

The stock intake is correct, the race intake IS NOT. As pointed out, the race intake is missing the center intake feed tube (as ANY rotary feeds from the upper housing ends and discharges through the center of the plates (so, one intake port/siamesed intake ports/one intake port.... in that order)

Thanks everybody for your interest and comments.  Some aircraft adaptations of the Mazda 13B engine appear to only use two intake ports.  BTW, Tamiya did do full detail kits (coupe and roadster) of the Savana RX-7 with engines, but the engines have little detail on the intake/exhaust side.  I'm planning to use a resin copy of the Monogram RX-7 engine in an MPC race-version Fiero, maybe converting it to a front engine configuration.  With a rotary up front and a transaxle out back, it still would have had excellent weight distribution and much more power as well.

1 hour ago, GerN said:

Thanks everybody for your interest and comments.  Some aircraft adaptations of the Mazda 13B engine appear to only use two intake ports.  BTW, Tamiya did do full detail kits (coupe and roadster) of the Savana RX-7 with engines, but the engines have little detail on the intake/exhaust side.  I'm planning to use a resin copy of the Monogram RX-7 engine in an MPC race-version Fiero, maybe converting it to a front engine configuration.  With a rotary up front and a transaxle out back, it still would have had excellent weight distribution and much more power as well.

The Tamiya full details kits are of the 2nd generation RX-7 and not the first generation.  Monogram's kit is a full detail of the earlier 1st generation RX-7.   

That said, I love seeing all of them built! :)