Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another hobby shop bites the dust.☹️RIP


NYLIBUD
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've been going to a local hobby shop about 10 miles from my house for a long time.I haven't been there in a couple of years.So yesterday I decided to take my nephew and buy him a model.Well,when we got there,I was in shock.The hobby shop had closed,and the place was now a Verizon store.They apparently closed their doors sometime over the summer.Like I said RIP.:(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's a real bummer. I like having a local hobby shop. It's great to go check out a kit kit before buying it, or to pick up something today. Lots of reasons why it's better than mail order. For me, anyway.  I only mail order if the LHS can't get it. I'm not wealthy. I just don't buy as much as I could. 

I suppose those of us who feel this way are old fashioned. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

 

 Owner needed to retire, nobody wanted to buy the business.

 

I think this is as much to blame for the demise of LHS as the internet is. Hard to find someone willing to invest their money in a business that has a shrinking/aging customer base that competes with online retailers and rising rent/utilities/taxes/labor costs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well it's clear,kids nowadays are completely involved with the internet 24/7.They aren't building models,or buying them.Im in my late 40s,and when I was growing up,a lot of people,kids and grown ups were building models.So there were hobby shops everywhere.But no more.I can name at least three stores that closed in the last 3 years,here on Long Island.Its a different generation.But whatever,just keep on building.And plus they just opened a Hobby Lobby near my house.But it does suck to see all these shops going under.If anything,I just feel bad for the owners,and their families.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The hobby shop may have fallen victim to a Landlord that was able to get higher rents and a longer term lease from Verizon.  I've been in several different areas of commercial real estate for 30 years and currently do the in house leasing for a small footprint retail store nationally and my company has fallen victim to such actions.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Which LHS was this? Don't tell me it was 3 Guys Hobby in Smithtown? I know that one was run by a widowed old woman as we've gone there on occasion, last we went was back in July IIRC.

I know, its sad all these are starting to fade away. Many factors are ever increasing rates of everything and lack of interest in the general public and most of today's youth (kids today are ether 24/7 PC gamers and/or know how to hack websites and phones, while ppl in my age bracket make shock videos and adult things on the web or scam for drug money, its crazy!)

Edited by RickRollerLT1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 The OP stated that it had been a couple of years since he had been to this store.

Not picking on him, but maybe this is part of the reason it closed? Too many people not going there often enough?

Just a thought that reading this jumped out at me.

BTW, I do this too with some stores, just not hobby related. It's like I store the info in the back of my mind, and when I need what I remember the store sells I will go there. Problem is after so long the store is gone, or what I remembered them having isn't made anymore, or worse I made a mistake and got stores confused in my head. Getting old isn't fun.

Russ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was just visiting my parents in Delray Beach, FL last week. My Dad and I wanted to visit hobby shops, shops we'd been to before plus another one I had found. Well that was four shops I had in mind. Well, three of them were gone. One in W.Palm Beach was still in business. It was mainly an RC shop which is fine too. But I just couldn't believe how those other shops were gone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had an LHS that was about a two minute drive from my office here. I loved it, as he had a decent selection, and would stock supplies when asked.

And he shut down in the summer. In speaking with the owner he said it was all because ofthe internet. His store specialized in RC. Was the bulk of his business. The problem is, guys would ocme in to his store, pick the experts' brains about RC stuff, then go online and order. And the kicker was that when all their parts would arrive, they'd go back in to the store and ask for guidance on assembly. So he implemented a diagnostic charge. And then of course the RC guys complained and said that wasn;t how you treat customers. His response, "you're not customers."

Finally, he had enough and packed it in. Now if I want to hit up a hobby store, I need to drive across the city in a minimum hour long return trip. There's really only one decent store left here in Edmonton. A city of well over a million peoplke, and only one hobby store. Sad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/1/2018 at 6:13 PM, RickRollerLT1 said:

Which LHS was this? Don't tell me it was 3 Guys Hobby in Smithtown? I know that one was run by a widowed old woman as we've gone there on occasion, last we went was back in July IIRC.

I know, its sad all these are starting to fade away. Many factors are ever increasing rates of everything and lack of interest in the general public and most of today's youth (kids today are ether 24/7 PC gamers and/or know how to hack websites and phones, while ppl in my age bracket make shock videos and adult things on the web or scam for drug money, its crazy!)

Actually,I was told by a friend that 3Guys did close.And I remember the owner,Betty.Well my moron friend doesn't now what he's talking about.3Guys is still open,and operating.I'm really happy about that.The store has been open since I was a kid..And Betty is a real nice lady.Anyway,I'am  heading up there right now to buy something.Sorry about the confusion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Actually,I was told by a friend that 3Guys did close.And I remember the owner,Betty.Well my moron friend doesn't now what he's talking about.3Guys is still open,and operating.I'm really happy about that.The store has been open since I was a kid..And Betty is a real nice lady.Anyway,I'am  heading up there right now to buy something.Sorry about the confusion.

3 Guys is still open after all? Phewww! Gonna have to drop by there sometime after this snow job we're getting, roads are gonna be a battlezone for the next few days after.

I do know that Elwood Hobby (AKA, Larry's Hobby back before the name change around 2008-ish) at 3006 Jericho Tpke., East Northport, NY isn't around anymore, last we tried to go there was back around 3 years ago we went past and his whole store space was empty with no sign ;(. My dad and I used to go to that place from time to time before we joined LIARS in '09, ahh the memories.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/3/2018 at 11:51 PM, RickRollerLT1 said:

3 Guys is still open after all? Phewww! Gonna have to drop by there sometime after this snow job we're getting, roads are gonna be a battlezone for the next few days after.

I do know that Elwood Hobby (AKA, Larry's Hobby back before the name change around 2008-ish) at 3006 Jericho Tpke., East Northport, NY isn't around anymore, last we tried to go there was back around 3 years ago we went past and his whole store space was empty with no sign ;(. My dad and I used to go to that place from time to time before we joined LIARS in '09, ahh the memories.

Yup,again,3 Guys in Smithtown is still open.And you were right (Larry's),Elwood Hobbies,have closed their doors for good.Along with Hurricane Hobbies in Selden a few years ago.And Action Hobbies,which was only a few miles down the road from Hurricane hobbies,in Centereach.?.:(.However,Willis,and Bayshore Hobbies are still open.?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Yup,again,3 Guys in Smithtown is still open.And you were right (Larry's),Elwood Hobbies,have closed their doors for good.Along with Hurricane Hobbies in Selden a few years ago.And Action Hobbies,which was only a few miles down the road from Hurricane hobbies,in Centereach.?.:(.However,Willis,and Bayshore Hobbies are still open.?

I left L.I. in '92. But I sure remember many of the hobby shops that were there. So Larry's is gone. I heard Dave's in Freeport is gone too, but that was because Dave died. I'm glad to hear Bayshore is still going. I used him a lot.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...