Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tires...Tires...and more Tires!

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/16/2018 at 10:44 AM, drifterdon said:

A very popular tire with the muscle car folks has always been the BF Goodrich Radial T/A.   Would love to find these in 1/12.

This should be #1. You could use them with all three Monogram 1/12 scale kits-- '69 Camaro Z/28, '67 Corvette 427, and '57 Chevy Bel Air, and since the Goodyer Eagle STs from those kits appear to be history, they would be popular if done right and if the 3D printed texture is very minimal, the biggest problem with almost all 3D printed parts. At 1/12 scale you might be able to get away with it.

Near as I can tell so far (though I haven't really looked that hard yet), there's very little available in aftermarket or interesting kit tires in 1/16 scale. I have a '34 Ford build that's fallen flat on its face because there just don't seem to be many "traditional" tires that are good quality available.

WHATEVER you decide to do, please provide a 1/16 scale 3D printing option if you go that way.

5 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Near as I can tell so far (though I haven't really looked that hard yet), there's very little available in aftermarket or interesting kit tires in 1/16 scale. I have a '34 Ford build that's fallen flat on its face because there just don't seem to be many "traditional" tires that are good quality available.

WHATEVER you decide to do, please provide a 1/16 scale 3D printing option if you go that way.

I second this.  Very, very little in the 1/16 world. Would like to do the AMT 55 Nomad as a gasser...looking for suitable tires...

On 3/14/2018 at 4:03 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

there's very little available in aftermarket or interesting kit tires in 1/16 scale

Hey Bill, PM me, I have some 3D printed 1/16 Firestone tires in 890-18 and 450-18 available. Tried to message you, but it wouldn't send;  your inbox must be full or something??

rear tires:

36-17-16 top fuel tire / funny car / pro mod tire

34.5-17-16 pro mod tire

33.5-17-16 pro stock tire (modern)

32-15-15

31-10.5-15  outlaw 10.5 tire

28-10.5-15 true 10.5 tire

front tires

22-15 front tire funny car / super classes

25-15 front tire modern pro stock / pro mod

i build in 1/8 scale but, making these tires available in 1/16 - 1/8  would be the schiznit.

• 1 year later...

I just wanted to say, Mike has been busy. I ran across some tires of his on ebay, and went to his site. Holy cow, he has some nice large scale stuff now. I did order a set of 1/16 scale drag wheels and tires, and if they look as good as I think they will, Ill order some for a 1/12 and maybe even some 1/24 dually wheels. I need a dually to tow my big car hauler. Thank to Mike for filling this need. Its one of the things that I hate about building. Not being able to get the right wheels and tires for the project. 

https://www.3dscaleparts.com/

I finally placed an order with Mike as well - for 1/16 gasser style wheels and tires and for the 1/8 wide 5 wheels - something I would have never thought we would see in 1/8...goes into the box of all the parts I’ve been collecting for years to finally build a 1/8 Hot rod...

• 2 weeks later...

Accurate street tires for the 1/16 MPC/AMT Shelby Cobra 427 would be welcome.

Also, as mentioned before, BFG Radial T/A's in 1/16 scale. 

Any street/ hot rod tires in 1/16, in a size larger (wider/taller) than MPC's Goodyear Radial GT's (the tires that come in their 1/16 '79 Trans Am kit), but less tall than the MPC Stock car tires found in the General Lee and Petty Stock Car kits (these tires are way too tall). I'm much less into slicks and skinny fronts than I am into street tires.  

The custom tires you find in the 1/16 AMT kits ('64 Mustang, '55 Nomad, etc.) are just terrible. The Goodyear Radial GT's that come in the MPC 1/16 '79 Firebird are pretty decent, but look kind of small to me.