Model Cars Magazine Forum

BB Chevy Engine Question

Guys....what I am recalling was a totally different setup than the one in the MPC '70 Impala. Just checked...it was in the 1983 reissue of the MPC 1972 Chevelle kit.  I don't have the original annual kit issue, but I recall being told by someone whom I trust in these matters that it was also in that kit.  (It was not in the "SS Slasher" reissue of the kit.) 

The layout has two turbos, each mounted on the top side outlet of the left and right exhaust manifolds. The fresh air output of each turbo is routed directly to one side (front or back, respectively) of the mid-rise manifold used also used in the "dual quads" street machine version (no carbs in between the turbo and the intake manifold).   The  fresh air is routed to the turbos by some ducting running from inlets at the front of the engine to the turbos, with some very basic plumbing possibly hinting at some form of fuel injection.  I suspect that the layout is lacking at least some accuracy/authenticity. 

TIM 

Speaking of which...one setup that could be wickedly badass would be a turbo (or turbos) blowing into a Hilborn injection setup.

I've never seen it done on the street, but it's entirely feasible (for the time period Mr. Snake is thinking about too), and could work just fine without the longish injection stacks often associated with a Hilborn rig...so it could all fit under a stock hood. (the shot below is on a 4-cylinder, but you get the idea...)

Hmmmmm...I may have to do one on something.  :D

kre_4cyl_injector

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

3 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Guys....what I am recalling was a totally different setup than the one in the MPC '70 Impala. Just checked...it was in the 1983 reissue of the MPC 1972 Chevelle kit.  I don't have the original annual kit issue, but I recall being told by someone whom I trust in these matters that it was also in that kit.  (It was not in the "SS Slasher" reissue of the kit.) 

The layout has two turbos, each mounted on the top side outlet of the left and right exhaust manifolds. The fresh air output of each turbo is routed directly to one side (front or back, respectively) of the mid-rise manifold used also used in the "dual quads" street machine version (no carbs in between the turbo and the intake manifold).   The  fresh air is routed to the turbos by some ducting running from inlets at the front of the engine to the turbos, with some very basic plumbing possibly hinting at some form of fuel injection.  I suspect that the layout is lacking at least some accuracy/authenticity. 

TIM 

This is it?

s-l1600.jpg

4 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Speaking of which...one setup that could be wickedly badass would be a turbo (or turbos) blowing into a Hilborn injection setup.

I've never seen it done on the street, but it's entirely feasible (for the time period Mr. Snake is thinking about too), and could work just fine without the longish injection stacks often associated with a Hilborn rig...so it could all fit under a stock hood.

Hmmmmm...I may have to do one on something.  :D

Yeah, but that would be rad!!!

8cylinder_turbocharged.jpg

5 minutes ago, Exotics_Builder said:

This is it?

s-l1600.jpg

Looks like turbos blowing into a high-rise 4-bbl manifold with no carbs or fuel injection, as Mr. Boyd mentioned...BUT...the same basic turbo arrangement could blow into an "airbox" built around a Hilborn short-stack manifold, so all the Hilborn stacks and stuff could be omitted, other than fuel lines and linkage going into the "box".

On 2/6/2018 at 4:33 PM, JollySipper said:

Hows 'bout the super charger from one of the Revell '57 Ford wagon gasser kits? I have those parts here, but no instructions as to how to put it together....

I believe it would fit under the hood, and could be adapted to fit what ever engine.......

I like this idea.  A Paxton or even two, ala the Super Snake Cobra, would be a good period piece.

A question on the period turbos. Intercoolers back then?

7 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

...A question on the period turbos. Intercoolers back then?

Usually not.

An intercooler won't work well with a suck-through-carb system, as fuel tends to come out of suspension and puddle. Rough running and difficult tuning because of uneven fuel distribution result.

Intercoolers will work with blow-through-carb systems (the charge air is cooled BEFORE picking up fuel) but they weren't common on cars.

Incidentally...the best way to build a blow-through system is to put the entire carb in a sealed air-box. This simplifies tuning because RELATIVE pressures through the carb venturi are maintained. The box also eliminates difficult throttle-shaft sealing problems, float-bowl venting problems, and crushed floats. 

Only a fuel supply line, a throttle cable, and vacuum advance / retard lines, all very easy to seal, need to be run through the wall of the box.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy