Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Shelby GT500 SUPER SNAKE

Nonlocality

Hello, all.  My name is Arturo, and I'm relatively new to the forum.   I'm a Ford Mustang guy, and am currently building a 1968  Shelby Cobra GT500 by AMT in 1/25 scale.  The progress is slow, as I want to add in as much detail as possible, and the AMT kit is mediocre at best, but I can't help but think about my next build.  I'm looking to replicate this car as closely as possible, down to every last detail:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0513-154080/1967-shelby-gt500-super-snake/

I have an AMT 1967 Shelby GT350 that I plan to use the body and parts for this build, but I'm having trouble with two things,;the tires and the engine.  Per my research, the engine is the same 427 used in the Leman's winning GT40 MK II, but Shelby modified it for this test run specifically.  I've purchased the Revell parts pak 427, for the build, but that comes with a dual intake manifold, and per pictures of the actual engine, I think Shelby used a single cobra hi-riser manifold.  The problem is, I can't seem to find a decent cobra hi-rise manifold.  The car itself is 1 out of 1 built, and was used to showcase the promotional Goodyear Thunderbolt tires, which is my second issue. I've no idea where to find the tires used, or anything similar.   I figured with all the knowledge and expertise on here, someone might be able to steer me in the right direction!

Regards,

Arturo

5 hours ago, vamach1 said:

I would get the Plamoz wheels, use any 60's whitewall tires you can find, the Keith Marks decals and the 427 engine from the Monogram 427 Cobra.

IMG_2009.PNG

IMG_2010.PNG

IMG_2011.PNG

Fantastic!  Thank you for the info.  I have some Plamoz wheels for my 68' but I'll have to order another set for my Super Snake, I found a seller on Ebay that has Goodyear white wall tires that would work wonderfully, but they're asking $30 bucks! Insanity. Also emailed Keith, so hopefully I'll have an awesome set of his decals soon.  As to the intake, the Monogram cobra 427 still doesn't look quite right.  I may have to use the intake I have and build it up with some putty.  Thanks for the replies!

I love this car and have the same project in my stack but it is on hold. Model car garage announced a set of photo etch for the 67 Shelby’s over two years ago but still not out. Hoping it has the outboard headlamp grill that this car needs. Also delaying my project is the hood grills that this car also has.

10 hours ago, Sport Suburban said:

I love this car and have the same project in my stack but it is on hold. Model car garage announced a set of photo etch for the 67 Shelby’s over two years ago but still not out. Hoping it has the outboard headlamp grill that this car needs. Also delaying my project is the hood grills that this car also has.

I'll be one of the first ones to pick up the photo etch set if it ever comes out!  Thanks for the response

9 hours ago, Sledsel said:

Revell 64 Thunderbolt engine is very nice and 1/25

Agreed, very nicely detailed and would work wonderfully, but again it has a dual intake.  I'm satisfied with the amount of detail the Revell Parts Pak comes with, but the intake is all wrong as it's dual.

53 minutes ago, Nonlocality said:

Agreed, very nicely detailed and would work wonderfully, but again it has a dual intake.  I'm satisfied with the amount of detail the Revell Parts Pak comes with, but the intake is all wrong as it's dual.

All the 67 GT500s came with dual carbs.

15 hours ago, vamach1 said:

All the 67 GT500s came with dual carbs.

I thought so too, but if you take a closer look at picture 7 of 12 on the Mecum link I posted, you will clearly see a single intake manifold, that appears to be a cobra hi-riser.  I like the intake manifold on this kit:

http://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/102/24-monogram-shelby-cobra-427

As it appears to be the right height.

427.png

91595fcf-2094-4f7a-819a-c029d7b92dc9.jpg

Edited by Nonlocality

1 hour ago, Mark IV said:

Production 67 GT50s had dual quads on 428 PI engines, the "Super Snake" had a 427 with a single 4V. There were plans to build more but the price of $7500 (A 427 Cobra was $7495.00!) pretty much ended that party.

Thanks for that info.  Weird they went with the single carb but it was a one off so I guess it should not be surprising.  Also odd it has the 289 style air cleaner.  Here is the Mecum listing.

IMG_2021.PNG

IMG_2022.PNG

IMG_2023.PNG

Edited by vamach1

6 hours ago, Nonlocality said:

I thought so too, but if you take a closer look at picture 7 of 12 on the Mecum link I posted, you will clearly see a single intake manifold, that appears to be a cobra hi-riser.  I like the intake manifold on this kit:

http://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/102/24-monogram-shelby-cobra-427

As it appears to be the right height.

427.png

91595fcf-2094-4f7a-819a-c029d7b92dc9.jpg

This engine picture is correct for this car only. The other pic is a 428. The stripes on the cowl give it away as another car.

I used the Revell 427 Cobra intake manifold and carb on the Parts Pack 427 for my build of CSX3016.  I modified the valve covers from the Fujimi 427 Cobra to fit.  Leave off the cold air box, use the Revell GT350 air cleaner and I think you would be very close to the GT500 Super Snake.

DSCN2984DSCN2981DSCN3058-vi.jpg

Edited by afx

On 2/16/2018 at 5:30 AM, afx said:

I used the Revell 427 Cobra intake manifold and carb on the Parts Pack 427 for my build of CSX3016.  I modified the valve covers from the Fujimi 427 Cobra to fit.  Leave off the cold air box, use the Revell GT350 air cleaner and I think you would be very close to the GT500 Super Snake.

DSCN2984DSCN2981DSCN3058-vi.jpg

Thanks for the info, and that's a great looking 427 you've got there!