Model Cars Magazine Forum

86 El Camino SS

TooOld

This is a very basic kit with low parts count and by building it curbside made for a very quick build !

I picked this one up because I was curious about the Black Pearl plastic and those full length decals .  Even with the poor lighting in my photos you can see it's not Black it's a Dark Gray , in fact Tamiya XF-24 Dark Gray is a perfect match for touching up any edges that may appear white .  As for the decals they went on pretty good !  One thing to look out for is that you have to cut out for the door handles and the front marker lights . . . I found out after doing the passenger side without cutting them out ! 

Edited by TooOld

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

It came out pretty darn nice! I'm working on one of these even as we speak and I'm going to polish the plastic. Thanks for the "preview of coming attractions." B)

Thanks , it's really a pretty nice kit !  I polished the plastic then applied the decals the cleared it .

11 minutes ago, TooOld said:

Thanks , it's really a pretty nice kit !  I polished the plastic then applied the decals the cleared it .

I think your molding is darker than mine. Mine's not far from '86 Chevy Medium Gray Poly. 

I don't think I'm gonna use the kit graphic decals. Been looking at google pics of them, and I think I'm gonna dull-foil the strips down the side of the body, just to keep it as box-stock as possible. 

Your foilwork looks fabulous, by the way. 

Edited by Snake45

That's a terrific looking model. Huge decals can be a real pain.

On a side note, I think it was a shame the 86 El Camino SS didn't come with the 86 Monte Carlo SS wheels. Probably one of the best factory wheel to ever be released.

Image result for 86 monte carlo ss wheel

11 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I think your molding is darker than mine. Mine's not far from '86 Chevy Medium Gray Poly. 

I don't think I'm gonna use the kit graphic decals. Been looking at google pics of them, and I think I'm gonna dull-foil the strips down the side of the body, just to keep it as box-stock as possible. 

Your foilwork looks fabulous, by the way. 

I think they're the same color plastic ,  I took those photos at night and the lighting wasn't the best . . . my bad .

Here's a photo with better lighting ! :D

On 5/15/2018 at 8:48 AM, TooOld said:

I think they're the same color plastic ,  I took those photos at night and the lighting wasn't the best . . . my bad .

Here's a photo with better lighting ! :D

Yeah, that looks closer to the color of mine. 

I'm finding the plastic VERY hard, which makes scribing out the door lines a bit of a chore. But you know me, I HAVE to do it....

On 5/15/2018 at 7:29 AM, Jantrix said:

That's a terrific looking model. Huge decals can be a real pain.

On a side note, I think it was a shame the 86 El Camino SS didn't come with the 86 Monte Carlo SS wheels. Probably one of the best factory wheel to ever be released.

Image result for 86 monte carlo ss wheel

Thanks Rob !  The decals went on surprisingly easy for being so big .  I wonder if those Monte Carlo wheels are available anywhere ?  They'd look great on one of these kits .:)

10 hours ago, TooOld said:

Thanks Rob !  The decals went on surprisingly easy for being so big .  I wonder if those Monte Carlo wheels are available anywhere ?  They'd look great on one of these kits .:)

Yep. But, it's in 1/24. I could still work though, finding a lower profile tire with a larger inner diameter.

Image result for model kit monte carlo