Model Cars Magazine Forum

Spark Plug wire

I'm looking for a  roll of black wire that can be used for spark plugs.  Yes, I know that I can get a small roll from various vendors.  But specifically what I 'm looking for is wire that is flat black or a most a dull satin.  It has to be able to hold a shape so it can be made to droop.   Most importantly the OD needs to be less than  0.40 mm. 

Almost everything that I have found is super shiny black and that looks so wrong.

Edited by Taxdude

18 hours ago, espo said:

You might check out Home Depot and Lowe's. They both have an Electrical Supply section and they offer many different sizes on a spool or even fore sale by the foot.   

Not anything remotely close to 0.4mm overall diameter.  That is about 0.016".  30 AWG wire-wrapping wire is about that diameter (including the insulation). 

Try electrical supply shops or go to a real hobby store and look in the model railroading section. They have very fine wire for wiring locomotives or other small electrical things like lights or switches. I found suitable wire in both places, although the small gauge stuff at the electrical supply shop was not cheap. It was 30 AWG (.15mm) Craft supply places like Hobby Lobby or Wal Mart also have beading wire which is very fine gauge as well.

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:00 PM, Taxdude said:

I'm looking for a  roll of black wire that can be used for spark plugs.  Yes, I know that I can get a small roll from various vendors.  But specifically what I 'm looking for is wire that is flat black or a most a dull satin.  It has to be able to hold a shape so it can be made to droop.   Most importantly the OD needs to be less than  0.40 mm. 

Almost everything that I have found is super shiny black and that looks so wrong.

The wire you are looking for is 30 AWG wire wrap wire I get it at Jameco electronics on line they have it in 8 colors black blue red yellow gray green white it comes in 25 and 100 foot rolls I got the 100 foot rolls for $8.00 each it's easy to work with and you can from it any way you want.!!

2 hours ago, DoctorLarry said:

Try electrical supply shops or go to a real hobby store and look in the model railroading section. They have very fine wire for wiring locomotives or other small electrical things like lights or switches. I found suitable wire in both places, although the small gauge stuff at the electrical supply shop was not cheap. It was 30 AWG (.15mm) Craft supply places like Hobby Lobby or Wal Mart also have beading wire which is very fine gauge as well.

Almost all of the beading wire that I have found has had a gloss finish.  The search continues.

1 hour ago, rickcaps55 said:

The wire you are looking for is 30 AWG wire wrap wire I get it at Jameco electronics on line they have it in 8 colors black blue red yellow gray green white it comes in 25 and 100 foot rolls I got the 100 foot rolls for $8.00 each it's easy to work with and you can from it any way you want.!!

Is the black flat or satin in color?

22 hours ago, Taxdude said:

Is the black flat or satin in color?

I got for colors red black blue and yellow so far all for colors are between satin and flat to me it looks like the low end of flat some call it eggshell one more step and your flat.