Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite kits

3 hours ago, THORDOOR220 said:

How did you do these tops? I've always wondered how people made those and vinyl tops...nice cars btw!

These tops are both kit pieces original to the kits.

The '62 Ford top was pretty much a paint, drop in and done affair.

The '62 Chrysler was much more involved.

The Johan up tops were generally pretty bad & required quite a few modifications to look nice.

Steve

3 hours ago, Jantrix said:

The Revell 29, 30 and 32's Model A's and B's. Ther'es just so many ways to do them and they are really great kits with easily interchangable parts.

20160730_162906_zpshoyi6bnz.jpg

20151108_153821_zpsheziawml.jpg

20131221_114344_zpsrzx7y1jq.jpg

I have yet to build a model A or B. I want to do those and a tudor or two eventually. Good to know who makes the good kits. Cool builds by the way, particularly the second

This is a tough question as the answer can depend on many things. If a build turns out well it's a favorite of mine regardless of subject. I admit to being spoiled by Tamiya kits. They go together so well after all the painting is done( which is about 90% of building  a Tamiya kit).

Edited by ZTony8

Two of my favorite kits to build are the

AMT '40 Ford sedan 

AMT '53 Ford Pickup 

These kits have enough extra parts to build several variations which is something I enjoy .

My all time favorite kit is literally any kit that I haven't seen or heard of before , because short of building a kit ,  just looking through the box for the first time is super fun . 

On 8/12/2018 at 8:50 AM, randx0 said:

My all time favorite kit is literally any kit that I haven't seen or heard of before , because short of building a kit ,  just looking through the box for the first time is super fun . 

I have to agree with that, it is kinda fun just looking through and figuring out what you can do with it (which is always 'anything', but there's always something to give a little inspiration leaning towards a certain build).

On 8/11/2018 at 10:26 PM, ZTony8 said:

This is a tough question as the answer can depend on many things. If a build turns out well it's a favorite of mine regardless of subject. I admit to being spoiled by Tamiya kits. They go together so well after all the painting is done( which is about 90% of building  a Tamiya kit).

I have yet to build any Tamiya kits. I've heard they're mostly curbside kits, and being a sucker for detail, I like to build the Revell and AMT kits. Painting is fun and all, but it's a little more satisfying fabricating little details that most people won't see, but you know they're there. Although I have a couple curbsides to build yet, so if those go well, I might give them a shot