Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hi everyone,

So I have a plastic uss constitution model I got many years ago. It was bits n pieces of it. Mainly both hulls, masts n few other parts. I worked on it off n on over the years using balsa wood to make parts im missing like decking.

My question is how can I figure out scale of it?

When I got it there wasn't original box or instructions that would've told me.

I measured hull (nothing built to it) and it measured 25" (2' 1")

Don't know if that helps. From what I've seen online it's probably either 1/76 or 1/96 but that's a guess. 

I would like to try n find the cannons n rigging pieces cuz those will be a challenge to make.

Thanks for any input someone may know

Edited by KBryan67

The USS Constitution is 207ft from billet head to taffrail.  This works out to 2484in.  Now depending on where you are actually measuring from and to for your 25in, I'd say you have the 1/96 scale USS Constitution be Revell.  Here are some dimensions that might be helpful:

Length: 304ft (bowsprit to spanker); 207ft (billet head to taffrail); 175ft (waterline)

Beam: 43ft 6in

Draft: 21ft (forward); 23ft (aft)

Good luck with your project.

No clarification Jim B. but I been researching n trying to find some cannons w/carriges for the ship n absolutely nothing out there. I did come across a website called shapeways.com and they do have cannons n carriges but they want like almost $12 for 6 of each. That's to much for me. 

Anyone by chance know an online shop that might sell cannons n carriges for way better price/deal? 

Cuz think it's like 54 cannons or so needed total. My last resort will of course be hitting hobby lobby n seeing what they have cuz I need to get a few pieces of balsa wood anyway but I was hoping to find something online. I found a couple sites but they want to much.

Thanks

Thanks SSNJim I will take a look. I kinda want to update what I wanna do. I think I'm gonna try to find a 1/96 scale online for as cheap as I can find. Cheapest I found right now is $67 through Amazon. I figure if I have a complete kit then I will have actual measurements of parts I'm gonna make from balsa wood. So the one I have now I may customize it a bit and turn it into a pirate ship but I gotta get a 1/96 uss constitution kit first and go from there.

Edited by KBryan67

You might consider making your replacement parts with basswood instead of balsa as the grain is smaller, and the wood is a lot stronger.  Some other popular model ship building woods are apple & pear as they are quite strong with a very small grain.

Yes peteski it is uss constitution. The one I saw for $67 is gone now. Right now on eBay there are some cheap ones but the shipping is ridiculously high. I know it don't cost no $50, 70, 90 to ship a plastic model that doesn't way that much. So I think I'm gonna put it away for a while n keep searching n see what I can find cuz I'm not gonna pay that kinda money for shipping. There was one for $85 n free shipping but that's a bit too high for my budget at this time.

So still browsing internet and I'm finding ship cannons but they are brass. I found 1 site that sells them single for a couple dollars but their shipping is ridiculous. Think it was Modelers Central n they want like $16 for shipping, crazy. I don't mind getting 1 brass Cannon and experiment with clay and make a mold but finding 1 Cannon with a fair shipping cost isnt going to well.

I did find on eBay the back of ship wall with the six windows which I needed so I did order that. Hopefully it will be right size....lol