Model Cars Magazine Forum

72 Buick Riviera Boattail (Update 18/12/26)

• 1 month later...

I’ve missed this topic before. I have to say I’m a nut for body proportions. Being a boattail Riv is one of my all time favorite cars I never bought one of these on account of the body shape. But you are nailing it. Real nice job I’ll take one for sure.Pay attention to the header panel above the grille it is just plain wrong. If you could fix that would really make this nice.

Edited by yellowsportwagon

Something else you may want to deal with Rico, 

Looking at the windshield pillar, the side glass goes up a bit higher on the real car than on the kit body. Actually higher than the top of the windshield.

I think it's only higher at the front. I think if it was raised there, I think the side window profile may be as close to 100% as possible.

1972 Buick Riviera

BTW, here's a link to a selling site with even more good detail pics.

https://www.carsforsale.com/1972-buick-riviera-for-sale-C1060367

• 2 years later...

How could I missed that.

Your obsession for details is amazing! I have one of the resin rivieras in my stash and never thought to temold that in the way you do it. That's awesome! Couple days ago I bought a 1/18 scale as a reference...now I have to take a closer look on it.

How is it going on your project? Hope all is fine!

• 1 month later...

Would love to see this finished. I'd really like a '72 Riviera boat tail kit in my collection.  A friend showed me a 3d printed Riv' kit he got off of ebay, it was horrible, avoid that if you can.  I'd gladly wait for a properly massaged '72 like this being cast, even if only a body.

Very nice work Rico!

• 2 months later...

Sorry Steve,

no updates yet. Everytime I think I would get some more time for the hobby my workload becomes more and more. I definitely will finish it and it´s meant to be cast after all the corrections but it´s a hard and long way to go.

I Will keep all of you updated...

Rico

• 11 months later...

I know it has been a while since there were any updates on this, hope you are still monitoring this thread...

Anyway, I am building a 1/10 scale RC '72 Riv. I have the body and it is vacuum formed ABS. I have started modeling new bumpers and grill and headlights, much like you did already. Any chance you'd be willing to share your 3d files so that I can modify them to fit this body at this scale? I say modify because this body has the overall shape but is in no way an accurate reproduction of the car. My plan is by cutting out the bumpers, grill, headlights and tail lights and replacing them with 3d printed versions, I can at least get it a little more accurate. This body is vacuum formed ABS (not the typical lexan that RC bodies usually are), so it isn't flimsy and cutting it won't weaken it and epoxying the 3d printed parts should be easy.

If you don't care to share, I understand completely - a lot of your time went into this. I already have a few hours into just the front bumper; I am on my 7th version and heading to print the first couple of layers of it to check fitment (before printing the full thing and finding out it doesn't fit and wasting all the material).

Again - completely understand if you aren't willing to share... no worries.

--Mike