Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

90’ Nissan 300zx (Z32) Turbo (Tamiya)

Ahajmano

16 hours ago, Ahajmano said:

Applying paint to a clear coat is not the greatest...

...depends on how you do it, imho. On modern cars like this I usually use 2k clear and that is very resistant. Meaning it is not a problem at all to mask the parts that have to be painted (flat or semi-gloss) black. If you use an acrylic (water-based) black paint for that, you can practically make corrections ("scratching off") later on using a toothpick, in case you have excess that needs to be removed. 

As regards your model, I really like it, and nice detailing on the engine!

Thanks guys!  Color is Pearl yellow from zero. This gen came in pearl yellow, but this is not particularly color matched. The clear hood does come with the Tamiya kit, just like the R31 kit they make :) They are rare amongst their kits, so I tend to use the clear hood when available in one they offer. 

The problem I am having with applying paint to 2k  is that there is practically no key for the paint to adhere to. Therefore, as you are handling the model adding additional details, you are constantly going back and applying touch-up paint on places were it chipped/peeled off. I think I’m just going to apply 2k in the future after my body detailing, then apply flat clear coat as necessary. 

Appreciate the the kind words! 

20 hours ago, Ahajmano said:

The problem I am having with applying paint to 2k  is that there is practically no key for the paint to adhere to. Therefore, as you are handling the model adding additional details, you are constantly going back and applying touch-up paint on places were it chipped/peeled off.

Sorry, but I have to disagree here. I have used semi-gloss acrylic black paint (applied by airbrush) on several models in order to paint black window trims, bumper parts etc. - ON the 2k. Of course, it's better the less you handle the painted model after that but the fixation on the 2k clear is good. See my Countach build below for reference.

Bild 038.jpg

17 hours ago, Ahajmano said:

Its probably a personal problem for me Tommy. The paint sticks, it just rubs off as I handle the model to add additional details. Its probably just a personal preference at this point. Your Countach looks wonderful by the way. 

I agree with you that it's up to personal preference at such a late, important stage of the build. Plus I have to add that the color I use for these paintings (Revell Aqua Color 302 - this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/36302-Revell-Aqua-Color-302-Schwarz-RAL-9005-Seidenmatt-16-39-EUR-100ml/323595360769?epid=1604197441&hash=item4b57c95a01:g:dXcAAOSwYj9cEQhu:rk:2:pf:0) doesn't seem to be easily available on the US market. Theses ROG Aqua Colors are not really great colors for airbrushing in general, but I like their consistency on the 2K and the possibilities of easily correcting (masking) faults, as I mentioned earlier on. However, I believe there are similar acrylics from Testors etc. Thanks by the way for your compliment on the Countach!