Model Cars Magazine Forum

CF white Freightliner question

ranma

Anyone know what color the engine was for the White Freightliner  (Consolidated Freight cabover)  I know the engine is  a Cummings but I'm leaning towards painting it  red to match the chassis (like the bumper and rims do).

Edited by ranma

here's a case of knowing too much to give you a good answer...  The kit, including the engine, is  not a good replica of a CF tractor...  It is more of a standard day cab with CF decals.   It even has some deluxe features which are nowhere near CF's style.

The standard color for a Cummins inline (kit engine) in a Freightliner would have been Cummins Beige in the 70's.  The Cummins inline extended past the back of cab on the day cab COE's.  In most applications , it didn't matter but CF used a very short wheelbase.  They used Cummins VT903 and Detroit Diesel 6V engines for clearance to the trailer (if I remember the math correctly).  

Freightliner painted the chassis on the production line with the engine installed.   The engine and radiator were taped and masked off but there was a lot of overspray around the edges  The transmission and axles were painted chassis color. 

You have a very good start and your truck looks great. I'd continue with your plan.  If you want the engine red, go for it, it would look good.

Steve's right, CF trucks were bare bones so the AMT kit is not an exact replica from the beginning. There is a Freightliner truck plant here in Rowan county and before CF folded, they would order their trucks without door panels, just to let you know how bare bones their trucks were. I know a man who retired from CF and he carried a wooden box he had made with wheels on it that he carried with him. It had his CB, AM/FM tape, and speakers built in it because the trucks had none of that. To answer your question there is a 73 model CF Freightliner on Youtube with a 270 small cam Cummins in it so I suppose they ran at least some inline Cummins. I spoke of all the corners cut to say this, if there would have ever been any re-painting done on the frame over the years for one reason or another, I don't believe that CF would have went to the trouble of taping out the engine that had plenty of over spray on it anyway , so if you want it red, like Steve said, I would paint it red. I think that it would look good too.

• 2 months later...

I have wanted to do an accurate version of the CF Freightliner as well , so the plan is to strip the interior tub of all diamond pleats , rob the seats from a White Motor Corp tractor kit , 5 hole wheels from a La France fire truck, scratch a v6 Detroit, move the driver side mirror down to the door middle at a canted angle, single headlamps and lose the lower bumper and chrome. Most of their trucks had the small roof lights found in the Ford Louisville kits. Glad I am deep in parts kits! As soon as the reissue Doubles set hits then I start on this one , for fun as a triple!

Edited by PettyKW43
Spelling