Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 79 Nova Challange

disconovaman

I thought I go on and start this, for discussion mostly because #1 they are my favorite cars and #2 I thought it may inspire someone else to build one. This is not the 79 but there's not much difference in the 78... 

I've had this 78 for 15 years and I've been scared to start it thinking I would louse it up and how often do you see these for sale and untouched? And I've bought alot of build ups to satisfy my craving to build them. 

The Revell 69 Nova chassis is a good replacement for the not so great one MPC supplied in the box.

I've got this set up as a moderen LS pro-touring style Nova...

The Squad Rod will make a nicely built example to represent the last real Nova of a Generation... we don't count the Toyota that GM put a Nova badge on lol!

Thanks for Stopping by, Now go get ya a Disco Nova for the workbench lol! ??

Screenshot_20190211-150313.jpg

Screenshot_20190211-150154.jpg

Screenshot_20190211-155242.jpg

Yeah! There is a dirt track modified body (Wheelwells hogged out) on the Bay for like 4 bucks in case you were planning on making it a Race car. That way you could save your good body for a rainy day.

I thought about gettin it and maybe puttin flares on it but I have so many already. I'm a sucker for them but I don't want to see it get wasted either.

I post a link to it...

• 3 months later...
On 2/11/2019 at 3:03 PM, disconovaman said:

The Revell 69 Nova chassis is a good replacement for the not so great one MPC supplied in the box.

I've got this set up as a moderen LS pro-touring style Nova...

I'm still messing with mine for the most part. It will be a curbside. Just wanting it to resemble mine... But this has me intrigued. Can you tell me about making this work? I want to build one to represent what I wanted to do with it.

I also love this body style, 75-79. here is what I did with the kit I had. This was the police car, can't remember the name of the kit, I built it to look like the 1.1 1977 that I had back in the mid 80;s. Love this body style. I have actually owned several 1.1;s, including a 1979 Pontiac phoenix. This kit I built probably 15 years ago. 

20190528_071159.jpg

20190528_071222.jpg

10 hours ago, cheyenne93 said:

This was the police car, can't remember the name of the kit

I'm not aware of AMT having a police car version of the 75-79 Nova. I know the MPC version had the Squad Rod...but the kit you have built here is the AMT. I can tell because the proportions aren't correct to the 1.1. I have titled and insured 18 of these Novas and parted out atleast 30... I love the cars myself... my favorite bodystyle... The MPC 4th gen nova is the better one, although I have built dozens of the AMT kits too.   

• 1 month later...

I loved that kit when it was an annual.  Something about the body was just so nice.  Go figure.   I also bought a recent reissue to build a slot car body like a buddy's shorttrack car.  I probably won't ever get to it.  No slot track now.  But I do like the directions you guys are taking.   Will keep a watch on this.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for reviving this thread... It had gotten pushed back aways... so as most of you know I love these old kits... I'm always trying to think of ideas to improve them. I think for sure Dwayne really out done himself on the 4 door, it's actually better than the original MPC kit... I'm converting a hatchback to trunk model now... 

received_520806631960662.jpeg