Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RDean58

Revell 59 Impala Convertible Update

Recommended Posts

Interior is complete! There is almost too much detail on this kit. Someone could spend hours on the interior alone.

1959_Imp_03.jpg

1959_Imp_04.jpg

 

I have all the outside chrome put on, now I am just working with the windows and I am hoping it will be done tomorrow.

1959_Imp_05.jpg

1959_Imp_07.jpg

1959_Imp_08.jpg

1959_Imp_09.jpg

Thanks for looking!  Comments welcomed.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a fantastic looking 59 Impala! Very nice work on this!

Edited by Roadracer
Misspelled is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I absolutely love the silver w. red office color combo! Silver looks especially nice on the 59 body. I may have over looked it, what silver did you use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robert, that is looking mighty nice! Just one teeny weeny detail that you may want to add...........all '59 Impalas that I've seen had chrome detailing on the tops of the seats and door panels like so..............

54.jpg.6c6656dd4dbf8c1fd9bb34fd3b9297d9.jpg

Tricky to BMF as it's very thin so I can't blame you if you want to let that go. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bisc63 said:

I absolutely love the silver w. red office color combo! Silver looks especially nice on the 59 body. I may have over looked it, what silver did you use?

It's been so long ago, but I think that is Tamiya bright aluminum with a clear coat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

Robert, that is looking mighty nice! Just one teeny weeny detail that you may want to add...........all '59 Impalas that I've seen had chrome detailing on the tops of the seats and door panels like so..............

54.jpg.6c6656dd4dbf8c1fd9bb34fd3b9297d9.jpg

Tricky to BMF as it's very thin so I can't blame you if you want to let that go. ;) 

Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate them. While I would love to do more detailing on the interior, I am at the point where I just want to get this one done and off the bench. I do have another unbuilt kit of this, the one molded in blue. I might attempt to do something like that on the other one when I get around to it.

I think Revell went overboard on this and the 60 Impala kits. The 60 even has separate window cranks and arm rests! Someone could spend a week on these interiors and still not get everything detailed! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RDean58 said:

Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate them. While I would love to do more detailing on the interior, I am at the point where I just want to get this one done and off the bench. I do have another unbuilt kit of this, the one molded in blue. I might attempt to do something like that on the other one when I get around to it.

I think Revell went overboard on this and the 60 Impala kits. The 60 even has separate window cranks and arm rests! Someone could spend a week on these interiors and still not get everything detailed! 

Oh I hear ya!

When I was doing the interior on my '59 hardtop, I spent quite a bit of time just on the interior alone! IIRC, I know I spent probably 2-3 weeks just redoing some things and adding things that Revell missed. Add also that the model had opening doors, it was that much more work on the interior such as separating the door panel for instance. :wacko:

The interior looks great as is and this along with the '59 Cadillac was a milestone in Monogram's lineup as far as detailed kits. I won't say that they went particularly overboard, one can say that these were among the first kits to appeal to the 'adult' builder, as they were definitely targeted for those that had been building for some time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

Oh I hear ya!

When I was doing the interior on my '59 hardtop, I spent quite a bit of time just on the interior alone! IIRC, I know I spent probably 2-3 weeks just redoing some things and adding things that Revell missed. Add also that the model had opening doors, it was that much more work on the interior such as separating the door panel for instance. :wacko:

The interior looks great as is and this along with the '59 Cadillac was a milestone in Monogram's lineup as far as detailed kits. I won't say that they went particularly overboard, one can say that these were among the first kits to appeal to the 'adult' builder, as they were definitely targeted for those that had been building for some time.

I do love them though! Very thoughtful of Revell to include instrument decals and door lock buttons, that got broken off of my example. I have the Cadillacs as well and they are really great too.  I really liked your hardtop and you did an excellent job on that one. The one thing I did not change on mine was the cowl overlap in the engine compartment. I can't seem to get a picture of a real life one, but the kits have the engines sitting back behind the cowling whereas the real ones have the firewall even with the cowling. A small discrepancy on realism but maybe Revell did it for molding purposes? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RDean58 said:

A small discrepancy on realism but maybe Revell did it for molding purposes? 

I believe that was a small faux pas on their part. Here are engine bay shots I have of the 1:1...............

50.jpg.9297a7188bb5e91532df4ba81dc4936c.jpg
DSC03268-vi.jpg.f6ac6b4a92cc6304eeb4d56e8b4312bf.jpg

Note on the fuelie engine there's a slight cutout on the firewall so Revell wasn't too far off. I just wanted to get rid of that extra 'lip' of plastic on the cowl so it didn't appear that much more buried. BTW, if I ever do another '59 Chevy, I'd sure like for it to be this Fuelie I have pictured. That's a VERY rare one for sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...