Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 SS 396 Chevelle

Trendsetta68

Getting my Chevelle underway..... this kit looks promising with the builds that have been posted up so far.

It will be painted Tripoli Turquoise with a parchment and black interior. White SS stripes will be my choice for the decals. They will help accent the white vinyl top. 

Minor wiring and plumbing on the 396 engine and accessories. 

An opening deck lid to showcase the trunk area details will be added as well. 

Pics coming later...

19 hours ago, Trendsetta68 said:

I painted the frame gloss black ... and here's a pic of the painted gas tank as well ...

Chassis 2.png

Don't forget to mask the tank and remove the frame when simulating factory overspray ;)

Also try to think as a paint shop worker, correct me if I'm wrong but when he's spraying he's only trying to cover the rockers.

Edited by Luc Janssens

On 2/25/2019 at 12:50 PM, Luc Janssens said:

Also try to think as a paint shop worker, correct me if I'm wrong but when he's spraying he's only trying to cover the rockers.

As a rule, GM cars from the mid 1960s-up have pretty good paint coverage underneath. When the paint shop guys finished their primary job they blew paint under the body before the next body came into the booth. Not all of the underbody paint was thick enough to level out and get real glossy in the baking tunnel but much of it did.

23 hours ago, Daddy Mack said:

As a rule, GM cars from the mid 1960s-up have pretty good paint coverage underneath. When the paint shop guys finished their primary job they blew paint under the body before the next body came into the booth. Not all of the underbody paint was thick enough to level out and get real glossy in the baking tunnel but much of it did.

Awesome!

9 hours ago, Trendsetta68 said:

I was wondering if any resin casters made this wheel ......................

1968 Chevelle gold_rag.jpg

Check out Fireball Modelworks, he recently added some late 60's GM hubcaps and I know he has them for 67 Chevelles, not sure if the 68's are different.