[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Goodwrench3

Need some assembly help with AMT Pete 352

Recommended Posts

Hi all:

Two things I need some help with.

1)  The piece called "air ride leveling switches" --  the instructions aren't really clear where on the frame rails this piece should go.  Are the "fingers just supposed to butt against the rear cross member as I show in the picture  ?  How do you know where to locate it on the frame rails ?

2)  Front springs -- the pin on one of the front springs is higher than the pin on the other front spring.  So on one side, you have a gap between the frame rail and the spring mount bracket -- what have you done with this  ??

Thanks !

 

 

air leveler.jpg

front springs 2.jpg

front springs.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never built the 352 but I have built the 359 which shares the chassis parts with the 352. 

1)   The part is very simplified and doesn´t look realistic at all. I have scratchbuilt my own part. If I can suggest,  take a look at a picture of a real height control valve set up in a truck and either scratchbuild the thing on your own or don´t use it at all. Just my opinion.

2)   If a pin of any part makes the part fit wrong I just cut it off. If you think that the pin position is OK, then insert a piece of plastic in the gap.

    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, truckabilly said:

I have never built the 352 but I have built the 359 which shares the chassis parts with the 352. 

1)   The part is very simplified and doesn´t look realistic at all. I have scratchbuilt my own part. If I can suggest,  take a look at a picture of a real height control valve set up in a truck and either scratchbuild the thing on your own or don´t use it at all. Just my opinion.

2)   If a pin of any part makes the part fit wrong I just cut it off. If you think that the pin position is OK, then insert a piece of plastic in the gap.

    

What Jaroslav said!! I cut the pins off too so they sit flush on the rails...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks ! 

Yeah about the air leveling switch piece -- I saw a couple different ones at the ATHS truck show in Des Moines and I couldn't make sense out of the piece in the kit or what it was patterned after.   These are the kind I saw (on KWs).

 

DSCN2255.JPG

DSCN2235.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The leveling "levers" are a joke on the 359 kit. If you want the to look real, you will need to scratch build something. You could just cut them off, or leave as is and just ignore them. When I did mine I cut them off to scratch build something in their place, but never got to it. I had to extend the frame as it is a log truck. In the end I never got around to making anything as I forgot. In the end, you don't miss them. So, its up to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah -- I'm leaning toward just leaving that piece off and be done with it.

Thanks all for your replies.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally found the pics of my version. It´s not accurate but at least a bit closer to reality. You can see the comparison between the kit part and mine.

 

P4180308.jpg

P4180309.jpg

P4190322.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks!  so, in fact, on the kit part, the "fingers" are actually on the wrong side of the angle iron "L".

And -- contrary to the instructions, the piece should be located *forward* of the rear axle shock mounts -- not behind them as implied by the instructions.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The rear suspension on the 359 "Small Window" and 352 kits is the Western Unit Stabilaire, later Peterbilt did the later Air Leaf and Freigtliner took over the Stabilaire, called it FAS Airliner and used it up to the late 80's when it was replaced with a more modern unit.
In the beginning they used two ride hight/level control valves per axle like in the kit, but this has later changed to one as the axle itself is solid and you don't need more than one, the ride hight/leveling control valve actuator rods are mounted on the round bar between the leaf springs the air bags are mounted to and not to the axle itself, so the kit instructions is right as the valves are supposed to be behind the axle facing rearwards...they are quite crude tho' and need some improvement.

Here is a picture from a Peterbilt broshure to explain.

5c88dab2ca8d1__57(1)bb.jpg.0d22f25e151d313076903dc358980b35.jpg

Edited by Force

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Force said:

The rear suspension on the 359 "Small Window" and 352 kits is the Western Unit Stabilaire, later Peterbilt did the later Air Leaf and Freigtliner took over the Stabilaire, called it FAS Airliner and used it up to the late 80's when it was replaced with a more modern unit.
In the beginning they used two ride hight/level control valves per axle like in the kit, but this has later changed to one as the axle itself is solid and you don't need more than one, the ride hight/leveling control valve actuator rods are mounted on the round bar between the leaf springs the air bags are mounted to and not to the axle itself, so the kit instructions is right as the valves are supposed to be behind the axle facing rearwards...they are quite crude tho' and need some improvement.

Here is a picture from a Peterbilt broshure to explain.

5c88dab2ca8d1__57(1)bb.jpg.0d22f25e151d313076903dc358980b35.jpg

 

Well,   Shazam !!!     Wow.    Thanks so much for posting that picture.  That explains a lot.   That photo also is nice as it shows the 1:1 suspension -- much better than the AMT kit instructions.

I'd love to get a copy of that brochure  !!     If it could be copied and maybe emailed ?   

Thanks again for this !!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're welcome, glad to be able to help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you put the part in where it is supposed to go,it doesnt look that bad?,AMT instructions were notorius for poor pictures.You need to be a mechanic to assemble them,just so you will have an idea as to what it is and where it goes.:wub:. Harvey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2019 at 8:48 AM, 37 caddy said:

If you put the part in where it is supposed to go,it doesnt look that bad?,AMT instructions were notorius for poor pictures.You need to be a mechanic to assemble them,just so you will have an idea as to what it is and where it goes.:wub:. Harvey

 

Ya got that right !!!

I'll have another post soon regarding the steering box attachment to the frame rail.   That's another mystery to me   :blink:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK guys --

More help needed.  :-(   The attachment of the air brakes to the rear axles is a bit of a mystery.  The instructions really aren't helpful.  Could someone possibly post a photo of their 352 axles showing how these are attached ?   It would be very much appreciated !

 

airbrakes_2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now