Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wire and Hose sizes

I know plug wires should be from .011 to .016 on 1\25 but was thinking of adding battery cables and maybe making my own radiator hoses. I thought I saw a chart that had the sizes but can't seem to find it anywhere. Anybody have a list of what they should be for 1\24 1\25 scale and maybe 1\16?

Remember that 1 inch = .040” in 1/25 scale, 1/2” = .020”, 1/4”= .010”, etc. This makes the math pretty easy. Measure the actual 1:1 part and convert the size. A battery cable will range from 3/8” to 5/8”, with 1/2” being pretty common. Go with .020” wire and you will be quite close. 

6 hours ago, Bainford said:

Remember that 1 inch = .040” in 1/25 scale, 1/2” = .020”, 1/4”= .010”, etc. This makes the math pretty easy. Measure the actual 1:1 part and convert the size. A battery cable will range from 3/8” to 5/8”, with 1/2” being pretty common. Go with .020” wire and you will be quite close. 

You are so right, Trevor. Since so much of the stock we use is manufactured in those sizes, I always use that method. Easy to remember, easy to calculate!

1/25 literally means one divided by twenty five. So take your full size measurement desired and divide it by 25 (or 24 or 16) to get the scale size needed. Likewise, if you have  piece of wire, multiply it's actual diameter by 25(or what ever scale you are using) to  get what it would represent in full size.